2-week-old MacBook Pro 17 Inch makes "beep" sound randomly... Ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackmack, Jun 28, 2009.

1. jackmack macrumors regular

So I first noticed this the other night and didn't think anything of it (figured it was just some random beep from a gadget).

It wasn't until the 2nd or third time that I realized it is coming from the body of my macbook pro (and I use external speakers above my desk, so I know it wasn't just a sound from the built-in speakers). No idea where it is coming from because the beep is very random.

I thought maybe the beeping was being triggered by the hard drive initializing because it beeped once when I left it alone for a while and then tried to use finder, but I haven't been able to replicate it at all.

It's hard to describe the beep... it isn't very high pitched, but it seems like a "something isn't right" beep.

My questions are:

1) Does this sound like anything any of you have heard of?

2) Is there any HDD checking software I can use. On a windows maching, when I want to check the status of a harddrive, I use UBCD's HDD testing stuff. Would that work on a mac?

2. Mac-Life macrumors member

Mac-Life

Me2

Hey

I have a MacBook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz 500 GB / 7200 RPM and it also says a sound one time in between. It is the same as we are talking about. My previous MacBook Pro 17" 2.66 GHz said the same, just with a smaller sound. 2.66 GHz, I returned and got the money again. Ordered as a 2.8 GHz and it says the same sound as yours. I called Apple and they sent me a new one. I got a new order number and email so that I could follow it. So it's service.

3. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

If you have the 500 Gb 7200 RPM hdd, the beeping is a documented problem.

Call Apple to see what their advice is. Some people have gotten replacements.

4. jackmack thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys, mine is indeed a 500gig 7200rpm. So it sounds like this is pretty wide spread? I can't seem to find any other people talking about it specifically regarding the newer macs.