2 week Timelapse setup

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by GarthAlgar, Oct 30, 2008.

1. GarthAlgar macrumors member

GarthAlgar

Hey all video experts,

The company I work for has been commissioned to record a timelapse of the construction of large Christmas tree and Christmas decorations in the lobby of big hotel over a 2 week period. In the past, when we've done timelaspe, we've just recorded the footage using the intervalometer function on our Panasonic-HVX. However, recording for two weeks (even at only 1 frame per second) would be far too large to fit on tape or P2 cards.

So, we're kind of stumped on how to go about doing this. What's the best way to record timelapse for such a large period of time? Should we use a video camera or still camera?

Is there a relatively cheap (under $1000) still camera out with an intervalomter function that would do the trick? Is there a way to store the media on to some type of external hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

You could pick up a Cannon Rebel and and external intervalometer for under a grand.

Depending on how often you are looking to capture a frame, you may be able to save all your frames to a single internal memory card. (depending on your frame resolution.)

3. DYER macrumors 6502

as a photographer this would be my solution.
    Used Nikon D200 with low shutter count (sub 10000) and which ever lens you need (£450 + X). the connect it to a pc using nikon camera controll pro and let the software do the rest.) i have done this with a D300 most of the time as well as a D1 and im 99.9% sure the D200 can do it. at 10.2 MPX you have more than enough detail for time lapse.
    hope that helps

oh and if you want to recoup cash at the end you cann sell everything and get about 75% back on your original purchase by selling on ebay meaning the actual cost is only 25%
    If you use a 32gb or 64gb CF card you dont neet to worry about storage buyt thats a bit £££

4. GarthAlgar thread starter macrumors member

GarthAlgar

This may seem like a dumb question, but how does the camera stay powered for that long? Obviously, the battery won't cut it. Would I have to physically swap batteries?

5. GarthAlgar thread starter macrumors member

GarthAlgar

I already have a rebel. So, where's the best place to look for an external intervalometer? And, again, the power question becomes an issue...how do you power a camera for that long?