2 weeks into my macbook pro, and a few issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thinkband, Jun 16, 2008.

1. thinkband macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

Well I have been using my macbook pro pretty frequently now and I am having three problems more than i expected (expected 0).

The first one, itunes. I am trying to transfer everything over to iTunes and also burn a few CDs into the computer. This process of burning CDs is quite slow (burning at 5x if I am lucky) and it gets slower as time goes on going to .3x at times. Also, every other CD seems to stop at track 6 or 7 and just freezes. Eventually when a CD burns, most of the songs have huge skips or play crappy for the whole song. I am a big music person so this is an issue.

Second, AIM on mac is absolutely horrible. I am lucky if it doesn't crash more than 5 times in a 1 hour period. Is this normal?

Third, I am starting to see dead pixels. I count two obvious ones so far. What is Apple's policy on this?

I really like the Apple company... have always been up to date with the newest ipods over the years as well as purchasing an imac and mac mini which have had no problems. I am kinda freaked out that I am two weeks into my laptop and already have some glaring problems. Any advice?

Thanks everyone :apple:

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Well the AIM software for Mac is crap, and not supported, try using a 3rd party peice of software.

The Pixels, if many, can be taken up with apple, but 2 or 3 and apple will not cover it.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

sounds like you have a dodgy burner, try taking it to an apple store

use ichat instead, integrates fine with AIM

i think its 3-4 - standard for all manufacturers

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Have you tried setting the burning speed in iTunes to something other than "Maximum Possible"? Try 12x and see if that helps.

Why in the world would you use AIM when you have iChat built into OS X? AIM is crap since it hasn't been updated in a long ass time (last update was back in 2004).

Also, if you don't like iChat and can do without video/audio conferencing - try Adium. It is one of the best pieces of software you will ever download for OS X.
    Two may not be enough for a return, but you can always call and try. Also, they may be stuck and not really "dead". You might want to try some of those programs where they flash a bunch of colors to get it unstuck. You can try this web app for the iPhone. It may help. http://www.ebaspace.com/iphone-app/#home

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

If you complain about the pixels, they would probably switch it.

6. bigDeeOT macrumors newbie

Use adium for AIM, not the AIM software itself.

As for the music skipping on your CDs, have you tried burning the exact CDs on another computer? It may be that your CDs are scratched or your mp3s are corrupted.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

8. badcrc32 macrumors regular

hmmm

I returned to Imacs to Mac that I bought online, I switched and bought a macpro in store. They let me turn it on its two days old no bad pixels.

Both my macs only had one. Dont ask the policy, these things are too much money.

GL.

9. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

The way I read this, you were burning CDs and importing songs into iTunes all at the same time. This may cause the burn speed to drop a bit, especially if you put iTunes in the background and start up safari or some other app(s) while that's going on.

That said though, the problem could also be with the media; what brand/speed are you using? I'm guessing that if you're a "big music person", that you wouldn't be using crap media, but in my experience, I've seen people putting mission-critical data (I'm talking patient records at hospitals) on the crappiest media because it was on sale, only to have it completely fail on them when they try to read it.