Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
My vodafone contract ran out so I switched from a N95 to an iPhone 2 weeks ago, so I thought I'd sum it up for anyone out there still thinking about it. I'm sure you can put this together from other threads, but I thought I'd add my opinion.

Overall
Overall it's a fantastic package, but it does have some negative points. I say 'package' because it's not just the phone, the unlimited data allowance from O2 makes the phone so much better (not a worry in the world about how much you're downloading), because I've found myself using the App Store and the internet a lot. I don't know what deal you get in other countries on data, but I'm taking full advantage.

Hardware
Well, it's a phone and you can make calls and send texts, so from that point of view there isn't much to say. When you want to download data, the phone just switches to the best connection it can get (wi-fi or network) without you having to tell it. The way the iPod works around the phone (calls and texts) is also fantastic. GPS; tried to use it in London, but it failed to locate me. A quick upgrade to 2.1 when I got back home and it started to work. Haven't used it since so can't really comment.

New paragraph for the camera. In my opinion it sucks. I know people love it on here, but it does suck. I haven't managed to get a picture indoors that I'm happy with yet. Best results are in bright natural light. Any artificial light and you get poor quality (flame proof suit on). To give you an idea, when I went on holiday last time my camera packed in before I took one photo. N95 to the rescue. Worked fantastic and could only fault one out of about 200 photos, and that was outside at night. Many other low light pictures came out fine. In comparison the iPhone wouldn't have cut it.

Software

The OS is top notch. Everything is obvious and you just know how to use it. I haven't go a complaint about the interface to any of the functions. I thought the lack of landscape texting would be a big deal but it isn't. After using the phone for a few days, you'll have the use of the cramped portrait keyboard sorted.

I suppose surfing can be a little awkward from time to time with all that zooming and scrolling, but you get used to it.

The only problem I've had was this morning with serious keyboard lag when typing into a text area in safari. I thought this was fixed in 2.1, so we'll just have to wait and see if this was a one off.

Conclusion

9.5 out of 10. The camera looses it 1/2 a point. It should really be more, but I knew the standard of the camera before I bought it so it wasn't a surprise. If, like me you know what to expect, it won't be a big deal.

EDIT: Make that 9 out of 10. I forgot about the battery life. Not good. I've turned 3G, wi-fi, and location services off and I'm still not impressed.

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Good review, I love my iPhone also. My only wishes are as everyone echoes; MMS, copy and paste and landscape versions of a lot of stock apps.

Of course, a camera would be superb, but that won't be improved through software updates. I'd assume they'll upgrade the next to 5MB. What's your n95? Auto-focus, flash, high mp I assume?

So, all in all - what did you like better - iPhone or n95?

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I too switched (about 10 months ago) from an N95 to my iPhone (8gb non 3g) and I have never looked back. I do wish the camera was better though. Yep, the N95 had auto-focus, flash, 5mp.

You think they are keeping the camera crap so that the images are easy to e-mail and don't eat bandwidth for the phone company? May also need a re-design to fit a more capable camera... I don't think it bothers me enough to care, but I won't be updating to a new iPhone until the camera improves to modern smartphone standards.

The only problem I've had was this morning with serious keyboard lag when typing into a text area in safari. I thought this was fixed in 2.1, so we'll just have to wait and see if this was a one off.

This is just because the phone has a lot going on in the background usually. Try force quitting a few other things like mail and text messages (open the app, hold down the home button for approx 6 seconds for it to close down completely).

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Good review, I love my iPhone also. My only wishes are as everyone echoes; MMS, copy and paste and landscape versions of a lot of stock apps.

Of course, a camera would be superb, but that won't be improved through software updates. I'd assume they'll upgrade the next to 5MB. What's your n95? Auto-focus, flash, high mp I assume?

So, all in all - what did you like better - iPhone or n95?

5 MP with flash, as well as (quite good) video recording etc...

Which do I like better? Well for the camera the N95 hands down, but for everything else it's the iPhone. As I have a dedicated camera, I'm not bothered about the lack of a useful one on the iPhone.

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
This is just because the phone has a lot going on in the background usually. Try force quitting a few other things like mail and text messages (open the app, hold down the home button for approx 6 seconds for it to close down completely).

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind if it happens again.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
I wonder why so many people experience bad battery life. :confused:I have OS 2.1 on 16GB iPhone 3G. I have 3G/GPS active, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off until I need them. My phone runs for a week without a recharge:D

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
5 MP with flash, as well as (quite good) video recording etc...

Which do I like better? Well for the camera the N95 hands down, but for everything else it's the iPhone. As I have a dedicated camera, I'm not bothered about the lack of a useful one on the iPhone.
Same here. I had the N95 8GB for 9 months before getting the iPhone. The photos and videos on the N95 are fantastic...

On the other hand, I could only make my WiFi connexion work at the office (EAP-TLS) once! VPN was not natively supported either and the user interface is... well... is Nokia like...

I'm really happy with my iPhone, but I do really miss a better camera, specially for work :(

oneschance

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
ann arbor mi
I wonder why so many people experience bad battery life. :confused:I have OS 2.1 on 16GB iPhone 3G. I have 3G/GPS active, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off until I need them. My phone runs for a week without a recharge:D

do you listen to music? not even regular phones go a week unless you don't touch the phone.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Good review, thanks.

I'm so excited about ordering my iPhone, but it's still on backorder. :-/

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON

A week? Are you sure you're using it at all?

I have everything turned on (except bluetooth), use my phone quite a bit and can get just shy of two days (one full day with heavy usage, two+ days if I don't really use it). I'm quite pleased with my post 2.1 battery life.

But ... a week!? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.