2 Weeks with my PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerBookNewton, Aug 24, 2010.

1. PowerBookNewton macrumors newbie

PowerBookNewton

So it's been 2 weeks since I received my PowerBook G4 in the mail from eBay. I got this puppy for a sweet 115 dollars, and it has a 867 Mhz Processor with 512 Mb of RAM (Soon to be upgraded to 1 GB), a 40 GB Hard Drive and a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 Graphics Card with 32 Mb of memory, It plays DVD's and Burns and Plays CDS, It's running 10.4.11 Tiger (Soon to be running Leopard). I've purchased a Motorola WN825G PCMCIA Card for Wifi and it runs at 54 Mbps giving me the speed of Airport Extreme and is recognized as such by OSX (Just a helpful hint for anyone looking for a Wi-Fi card for their Titanium PowerBooks).

Before I continue, You need to know that I was a PC User from the beginning of my computer career that began about 10 years ago, My first computer was a Gateway desktop (Which I still have) and from there I upgraded to a Dell desktop and then a Compaq Notebook and finally a Dell Laptop. I've used Windows Me, 2000, 98, XP, Vista, 7 and even 3.1! My computers have crashed numerous times and I've pulled out so much of my hair that even Rogaine could not make it grow back.

I was originally in the market for a PowerBook G3 500 Mhz and planned on upgrading that to 1 GB of RAM and running Tiger, Then I came across an auction for a PowerBook G4 for the same price as the PowerBook G3 and I put a bid in at the last 30 minutes of the auction expecting to be outbid and to my surprise, I wasn't. Anyway fast forward 2 weeks and here I am typing this on my PowerBook. I honestly have never felt so excited to use a computer before, Just looking that the Titanium shell and seeing the Apple logo just makes me want to turn the computer on for no good reason, OSX was so easy to use, For a native Windows user like me transisitioning seemed like second nature, It took me a decade to learn the insides and outs of Windows, It's only taken me 2 weeks to learn the Mac operating system. The speed is amazing, OSX requires so little and I have a hard time believing that I'm using an 8 year old computer! The USB 1.0 ports are of course slow when syncing songs, I'm willing to be patient until I buy a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card for iTunes syncing.

I was a PC user for the first 10 years of my computing career, But this has begun a new chapter for me, My next computer will be a Mac and the one after that, I suggest Mac to all my family members, It's only taken me 2 weeks to fall in love with a Mac. The ones who say that they don't like Mac's, are usually the ones who never tried one. This PowerBook will a useful tool for another 10 years to come, and will wear this wallpaper quite proudly...
    [​IMG]

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

congrats to the PB g4 and to the transition to OSX
    and god you got a bargain there;):) ,
    at least if i compare that price to the uk, here you get one for double that price with dents / scratches and a near dead battery and far away from shiny :(

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Congrats, and welcome to the bright side!

I still have my PowerBook G4 1.67 and have put a 250g hard drive in to accommodate my storage needs. Runs like a charm!

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Congrats,my first modern Mac that made me convert is my PowerMac G4 867Mhz with 1GB of ram and 2 120GB HD's,running Leopard and Tiger. :)
    I now have switched to the Intel side and am rocking my Late 09 MacBook,I wish I still had my 2 PB G4 Ti 1Ghz machines,those were fun,but sold them for the MB. :)
    Have fun with leopard!

5. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

Even in the US people sell iBooks and Powerbooks with batteries that don't hold a charge and some without an A/C adapter and it just stupid! :mad:

6. g4 powerbookboy macrumors regular

where did you find that awesome wallpaper? or maybe email me a link at stormchaser2063@gmail.com

7. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

Cool story bro.

In all seriousness, welcome, hope you enjoy your powerbook as much as I do mine.