2 weeks with the new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kis, Nov 11, 2008.

1. kis macrumors 65816

Well, I received my MBP about two weeks ago. This is what I think about it:

Pros:

- quiet
    - cool (temperature-wise :)
    - well built (mine doesn't seem to have any of the body issues)

Cons:

- THE GLOSSY SCREEN (no matter how much I tried to like the glossy screen, it still annoys the heck out of me. I've got a good panel but the gloss is horrible and it's visible pretty much anywhere I go. It's a serious problem for my photographic work, too. Calibrating the screen is very hard and I've had complaints from my agency that the colors are still off. I used to do some on-the-spot photo editing on my previous MBP but now I have to do everything on my desktop)
    - the weight
    - the trackpad sucks. At first I liked it but after a while the clicking started to become erratic. Sometimes I have to click 5 times until it's registered. Clicking in Windows (bootcamp) is so inaccurate that I have to carry a mouse wherever I go.

kis

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

The clicking problem is known, and Apple said a software fix is coming.

3. nep61 macrumors 6502

Did you have the previous MBP? I thought this new one was lighter than the old ones? This one weighs in at 5.5lbs.

4. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

well 4 weeks into my purchase I really don't have any cons! I love that it's superquiet all the time, specially compared to my white MacBook!

I had a few issues but they are all ironed out:)

Best computer ever, really. I wouldn't change it for any laptop

5. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

glossy screen software fix

it should not be long before that is available too

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Your calibration issues probably have more to do with the fact that there is a TN panel behind that glass......

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats on your new MBP, and I'm sorry to learn of the problems you are experiencing with it. Hopefully, Apple will address these before too long and then you should be able to enjoy your MBP as you ought to have been able to do since you first bought it.

Cheers and good luck

8. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

yes, I had the old one, too - the new one is heavier (not very much, though).
    The new Macbook, on the other hand, is massively lighter than the old one.

peter

9. kis thread starter macrumors 65816

true, I really like that, too. It's the quietest notebook computer I've ever owned.

peter

10. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

The new Pro is .1 of a pound heavier than the last model. To me thats the same weight, I'm not sure that I could tell the difference or think of any instance that it would be an issue to be honest.

11. romo macrumors newbie

I've had my MBP for about 2 weeks as well. I agree with your pros but I would consider the trackpad among them as well. I really couldn't stand using notebooks at all before this one came along (I rarely used them). I always just plugged in a USB mouse whenever I was using one. The trackpad is very inuitive for someone without a lot of experience on notebooks. I have not yet had any issues with clicks not registering and the multi touch commands make using applications much easier.

The glossy screen is so-so. I don't have any complaints about it but I am not going to say it is superior to matte screens either.

12. Red-red macrumors 6502

Completely disagree about the trackpad. I love it and compared to every other notebook on the market it's a massive step forward.

I haven't had a single problem with the glass display. It seems to me one of those things that you find faults if you look for them. Stop trying to look for the reflections and just use it.

Weight? I'm used to hulking around tons of stuff so I don't even notice the weight. Get some protein shakes....:p

The one things that is annoying me is only 2 USB ports. When you need to connect tablets, printers, scanners, camera's, mouse's, iphones, ipods etc it gets extremely tedious.... guess I'm going to have to buy a ugly hub.

13. firstjudge macrumors newbie

The trackpad really is fantastic. I still prefer a mouse, however like others I couldnt stand trackpads before this one. It really is intuitive and I love you can do so many things comfortably with just one hand.

The temperature is impressive as well. It runs VERY cool for the most part. When it does get warm its mostly in the top part of the machine and the bottom remains relatively cool. I remember working on an older model a year ago and recall how hot it got. The unibody is significantly cooler.

The glass screen can be annoying at times if you look at a lot of black background websites/dark images however. But it depends on your level of tolerance for reflections.

14. Red-red macrumors 6502

The only part of mine that gets hot is the top left were the speaker is. That's only when I'm doing something heavy with the 9600m GT on.

I must be really tolerant to the reflections as I don't notice them. How ever I did yesterday when using a actual glossy screen on the g/f nan's sony. I instantly clocked on the almost ripply effect of it ( Only a £650 notebook so thats most likely why)

15. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

My biggest complaint is the two USB are so close together. I have to unplug the other USB cable to use a thumbdrive.

16. Red-red macrumors 6502

I can fit mine in but they are quite small. Buy a smaller one maybe? There cheap enough now.