2 wifi networks - one using Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rosarius, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Rosarius, Aug 22, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

Rosarius macrumors newbie

I live in a big old house - with the result that the wifi signal from my ISP's wireless router/hub that resides downstairs is very weak upstairs where my office is. However downstairs the signal is very strong and supports phones, ipads, laptops, TV so I don't want to move it. Question is, can I run an ethernet cable up through the house from one of the router's ethernet ports and connect it to a Time Capsule upstairs and provide another wifi network to devices upstairs using the Time Capsule? Anyone done this? Is it straightforward? I only ask because I'd like some confidence before I start drilling the cable runs.

(If that works, I'd also like to attach the upstairs USB printer to the Time Capsule for wireless printing. This is merely nice-to-have however.)

Thanks,
    R

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep. That will work just fine. Only thing you need to do is setup the TC in bridge mode when you install it.

3. Rosarius thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I wouldn't have spotted the bridge mode thing.

R

4. davidoloan macrumors 6502

You can connect another, and another, and another, and another ................

It works brilliantly and you can use the Airport Utility App on IOS to see what device is connecting where and update them all.

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

And there are other ways: I use my AEBS to set up a completely different network, because I like its router functions better than my 2Wire. Some set up a different LAN for work that way. Just depends. And you can use what Apple calls a roaming wifi network as well, so that it doesn't show up on stuff like iPhones as a separate name with separate password, etc.