2 Windows 8.1 Installs - Combine boot camp and Parallels serial?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bubsdaddy2000, Sep 5, 2014.

1. bubsdaddy2000 macrumors newbie

I initially installed Windows 8 (then upgraded to Win 8.1) under Parallels on my iMac. I also decided I wanted to try a boot camp install so I went through the steps and used another serial number I had.

Can I combine the two serial numbers somehow so I have one available for another machine? I was thinking of blowing away the parallels install and then reinstalling from boot camp.

Suggestions? Can I just alter the serial number to match instead of uninstalling and reinstalling?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, Parallels supports just running your Boot Camp partition as a VM. Thus you would have just the one install active. And the serial number you used for the Parallels-only install can go away.

In Parallels, tell it you want a new VM, then just tell it you want a VM from your Boot Camp partition.

3. bubsdaddy macrumors member

I tried it both ways. First, I changed my product key in the Parallels installation and that went without any problems. I didn't have to reactivate or anything. I then remove the Parallels win8.vm and reinstalled from boot camp. I didn't need to re-enter the activation key or anything else.