2 Windows Programs I Need in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GradientMac, May 30, 2008.

1. GradientMac macrumors regular

GradientMac

The programs are for a game available on OS X called 'No Limits Coaster.'

I am wondering- if I could get the source code for the program - is there any way to change it to an OS X program? Crossover did not work. :(

http://www.coastersims.com/nltools.asp

Titled "Elementary"

http://www.coastersims.com/pavilions.asp?BoardID=50&ThreadID=25885&action=ViewTopic

Titled "Automatic Heartline Generator"

FYI- I know absolutely NOTHING about programming, and if I sound like a bumbling idiot, which is likely ;) then please forgive me!

And if this is in the wrong thread, I'm sorry!

These programs are quite simple though!

Help?

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Forget coding/programming/recompiling. Even an experienced coder wouldn't take that route with someone elses code and I doubt you would be able to easily get the source.

If Crossover didn't work, then I might assume that Darwine will fail too. So long as you are on an Intel Mac, you could invest in VMware Fusion and run those tools in a window on the OS X desktop (or fullscreen ).

Alternatively, if you don't mind rebooting, run Windows on Boot Camp.

3. GradientMac thread starter macrumors regular

GradientMac

VMware/Parallels and a Windows disk would just cost me stupid amounts of money. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do so.

Thanks anyways.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Well if you want to spend a couple of years learning to program and then how to port an application then go for it. That is if you can get the source.

5. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Most hobbies require "stupid" amounts of money, that's why they are hobbies.

Boot camp is free.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. GradientMac thread starter macrumors regular

GradientMac

I own No Limits coaster- but Elementary and AHG are user created. Elementary uses eformulas which contain calculus and math to make geometric shapes based on force vector design [Force Vector Design is the eformula I use] so I can import them into the NoLimits editor, and the Automatic Heartline Generator creates banking toward the highest positive forces, meaning there is as little lateral force as possible, and it also means the banking rotates around the 'heart line' [center of the body] rather then the person's body rotating around the banking.

I hope that didn't sound like gibberish, but the programs are user created tools to help make tracks as perfect as possible.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I see, its just that some people don't realise how much software does actually exist for the Mac already ;).

To be honest it'd probably be more productive to send the makers of these mods an email to see if they can port them to the Mac then.

9. GradientMac thread starter macrumors regular

GradientMac

I tried that, the response I got was nearly rude stating that "We don't support the Mac platform, and we have no intentions to do so in the future."

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There is really nothing you can do in that case...

11. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

Unfortunately if they aren't open source projects, the authors have every right to say "These are my toys, you can only play with them on the playground of my choice". In this case, the playground is Windows. If it is open source, someone else can work on a port, but the developer doesn't have to help them.

We mac users are still on a minority platform. I have no idea what the real breakdown is, but the number of developers working on Windows and Linux is probably about equal, with OS X developers (while they're great) being in the minority. The linux devs are going to be friendlier to OS X than Windows due to the similarities of the systems. Windows devs, on the other hand, have a very high cost of entry for Mac development (need a Mac, need to rewrite the whole GUI, if they use a lot of Win32 or .NET API calls rather than straight C/C++ they have to redo that, etc.).

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but these are some of the hard realities we have to deal with. I personally game on consoles, and never expected my Mac to game well. Blizzard is nice to Mac users, but other game developers, and apparently mod/tool developers aren't so friendly.

-Lee

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Linux may have a lot of developers per user, but it does only have a very small market share even compared to the Mac. In total the number of developers is probably Windows>>Linux/Unix>Mac.

However the vast majority of Windows developers are writing boring business applications and quite a lot of Linux/Unix developers will be the same. So in terms of applications you might want to run its probably fairly equal between the three platforms.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

True. Although you are forgetting that the vast majority of Unix software will run unmodified on Mac OS X as it is a Unix system itself. So Mac OS X developers = Unix developers and vice versa.

14. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

VirtualBox is a free virtualization program.
    But I wouldn't recommend any virtualization program for playing games, just use bootcamp.

15. GradientMac thread starter macrumors regular

GradientMac

They aren't games, and they're not graphic intensive, they're just add on external programs that work WITH NoLimits coaster but aren't a part of it.