2 wired Airport Extreme + media center (seagate)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by GuiDrissen, Jan 23, 2014.

1. GuiDrissen macrumors newbie

I've been searching for a few days, but can't find a solution for my problem. Hoping you guys can help!

Main point: I want my Seagate Media Center to be available for every device connected to my network (smart tvs, iphones, macs, pcs), either down or upstairs

I'm planning a setup like this:

Upstairs:

Cable Modem >>WIRED>> (WAN) Airport Extreme >>WIRED>> 2 LAN ports: Seagate Media Center + ethernet cable for downstairs connection

Downstairs:

>>WIRE>> Airport Extreme >>WIRED>> LG Smart TV

Problem is with wired connection Airports only "creates a new network", so it's 2 different networks

So, the questions are:

1- will my Media Center content be available for devices connect to my downstairs Airport Extreme (Smart TV, pc, mac) ???

2- If it won't, what can I do so I can acess my files when Im connected to either way down/upstairs Airport Extreme ??

3- Would a switch solve the problem?? (connecting both Airports Extreme + media center directly to the switch)

4- Would a Time Capsule Airport Extreme as base station (upstairs) solve the issue?? My deviced connected to downstairs Airport Extreme would be able to acess the files in it??

I know it's a lot of questions, but hope you can help me.

2. Ralphalph macrumors member

Ralphalph

Sounds like you just need to set both to "create a network" and then make the SSID and password the same on each. Individual devices will then roam to whichever access point has the strongest signal, and everything should be on the set network. See the diagrams and settings at this link. Be sure to turn DHCP services off on the secondary routers.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3765023

----------

With that network setup you are just creating a single network, so all devices should see one another, and there is no need for additional hardware.

3. paulgarb macrumors regular

Can confirm Ralphalph's suggestion - this is how I am set up in my place. Actually have 4 different access points (ok my house is weird) all with same network name, same password AND same security (WPA2). Works a treat!

4. GuiDrissen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Ralphalph! I give it a try.

paulgarb.. What devices do you have plugged to your access points? Devices connected to one router/accesspoint comunicate to devices connected to other routers/acesspoints ? ex: media center connected to router 1 being read by Smart TV connected to router 2

5. paulgarb macrumors regular

Powerline networking stuff at the heart of it - devices as follows
    Modem router at entry point
    AirPort Extreme in 'office'
    Devolo wifi/wired plug in 'media room'
    Airport Express in Kitchen
    Seamless wifi roaming between all devices & all networked devices (TV, PVR, music streamer, Apple TVs x 2) available anywhere in the house.

6. GuiDrissen thread starter macrumors newbie