2 wireless networks 1 g, 1 n?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Grasbak, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

I think i have seen a couple of threads on this but couldnt find them on the search.....

i have pursuaded my dad to get an iMac for his new machine and suggested a time capusle as well for backing up. (originally did this as he said he was getting an ethernet modem - turned out to be a wireless router/modem)

he has a wireless router/modem which is b/g and is getting a time capsule. I want to set up 2 separate networks so that the n network can be exlusively n to maximise speed. The g network for other devices.

Can anyone help with this - I browsed the tc manual but couldnt see anthing there.....

2. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

I'm assuming you're already using the b/g router and have that set up. All you need to do is set the TC to n-only when you get it.
    Airport Utility has all the settings-including "Radio Mode: 802.11n only"

Check out the Designing Airport Networks Apple Document starting on page 48, setting up a dual-band network.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Designing_AirPort_Networks_10.5-Windows.pdf

3. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks - i had found and looked at that document - it isn't quite the setup i have so was worried it wouldnt work. The apple docs always assume a dsl modem only.... the dual band has a modem then 2 routers....

yes the b/g network is already running. I assume that router will do all the 'routing' even on the TC. So if stuff is plugged into the TC or wirelessly connected the b/g will be assigning IP addresses?

4. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

This is exactly my plan ... I have a Linksys WAP54G and have ordered an Apple Extreme. I am going to leave my WAP54G alone covering b/g and dedicate the Extreme to 5Ghz "n". I also have an Apple Express on order to connect my Mac Mini as an "n". My network will have the Mini and an Apple TV on the "n" network and the rest of my existing wireless network will stay on "g". As time goes on, I expect that my next computer purchases will be "n" equipped.

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

To the OP and the last poster, just make sure to set your base station in bridge mode, otherwise the TC/AEBS will continue to do it's own DHCP and computers connected to the base station won't see computers connected to the b/g router. Also, make sure to give the two networks different SSIDs (NetworkG & NetworkN or something like that) so as not to get the two confused. Then just connect your base station's WAN port to one of the router/modem's LAN ports and you'll be set. Everything will be able to communicate across both networks. You can share files, printers and HDDs connected to either network, etc.

6. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

thats great! thanks for everyones help - hopefully setting up tomorrow night if it all arrives!

7. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

I am replacing a very, very. bery old SMC Barracade wired router with the Airport Extreme. The Linksys is a wireless access point, not a router, so it will be slaved to the AEBS on one of the 1Gig ports. The AEBS will be the router for the house. I am psyched ... looks like they will arrive on Thursday. I will have my LAN party on Saturday!

My only fear is that we use wireless 5.8Ghz Panasonic telephones for the house and I am hopeful that they will not interfere with the "n" traffic.

8. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

FWIW, I have an 5.8Ghz phone handset about 2 ft from my N iMac and the phone base station is about 5ft from the Airport Extreme N base station (N, 5GHz wide channel). No problems. Well, none that I'm aware of:)

9. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Awesome ... thanks for the info ... I am hoping that all of this makes the streaming movie playback on the ATV work better. I recently upped my encoding bit rate to 4kbps and need the extra bandwidth that the 5Ghz "n" will provide.