2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core -- Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Skape, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Skape macrumors newbie

Mar 28, 2015
    Hi Everyone! Thanks in advance for your help! Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong discussion area! I have a couple quick questions! I've been mulling over purchasing a used 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Xeon system, but I'm a bit confused. It's listed as a 2 x 2.66 GHz Quad-Core systems, does that mean it's a four core system (2008-ish model) or a newer 8 core system? The reason I ask is because the sellers spec has it running DDR2 ram, which is seems to be standard for the original 2.66 models (4 core). Can the later 8 core Macpros run on DDR2? I've checked a couple sites and it seems like the 8 core models all take DDR3.. Maybe the original seller upgraded with off brand/cheaper ram? Is there anyway the seller could help me distinguish between the two systems? Inside screen shot? model number? Sorry for the beginner questions! Thanks for your help!!
  2. satcomer macrumors 603

Feb 19, 2008
    The Finger Lakes Region
    A Zeon chip is just an Intel Chip the can work with other Zeon processors. So in a sense it just an consumer chip i7 with something extra inside of it to work with other Zeon processors on the same board.
  3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

Dec 5, 2009
    @satcomer It is Xeon not Zeon where is the X on your keyboard?

DDR2 and DDR3 aren't interchangeable. If it is DDR2 than that is what it always has been.

Just ask what year it was or get more information. 2x quad core sound like 8 cores but if the information is so lala, it could be anything. It might be some 2x dual core ergo 4 cores. I don't know all the old Mac Pros but you won't get around asking for more info. Because that info doesn't sound reliable, who knows on what end it is off.