2 x 2.66GHz Dual Core VS. 1 2.66GHz Quad Core?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Hecklerdanny, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Hey everyone. I'm in the market for a new Mac Pro for home use.

Currently at work I'm using a 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro with 5 GB's of RAM. This system was purchased a few years ago.

What I'd like to get for home is the brand new Mac Pro with one 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 6 GB's of RAM.

Can you guys please fill me in on the speed increase, if any? I guess "on paper" it looks just about the same to me, minus the extra GB of RAM, of course. I know very little about these Intel Xeon processors, so any information you could give me about the increase (if there is one) would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be using my home system for (besides all basic tasks, email, web, music) A lot of Aperture, Photoshop, Final Cut, iMovie, etc.

In short, is this a good system?

Thanks in advance for any information that you could give me!

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

A very good system IMHO. When MacWorld reviewed the new MPs (http://www.macworld.com/article/139507/2009/03/macpro2009.html), it had various real-world benchmarks that included the system you're using, which I think will give you a idea.

beatfeats.com is always worth checking for this kind of thing.

3. Hecklerdanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Thanks a lot for this information! I'm reading the Macworld article right now.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's dependant on what you are doing, but the clock for clock (old vs. new at same speed) performance increases tend to be in the 20-30% range.

Some things benefit hugely from the faster memory and hyperthreading of the newer system. There are also big performances increases for things like video encoding that Intel improved over the last two processor revisions.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

You're welcome! I've had a quick look at barefeats.com - don't think it compared these machines together, but it's still worth a look.

6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

*what we need here is that graph someone made comparing the single thread and multi thread speeds of all the mac pros and some other macs...

the new system would be a nice upgrade as far as Final Cut editing goes, but i wouldn't consider it a necessary or even essential upgrade

benefits of the newer computer would be...
    - hyperthreading (8 cores for rendering/encoding)
    - RAM is 50% faster (although you can fit less in...)
    - EFI64 v EFI32
    - SATA cables for optical drives
    - better power supply
    - compatibility now and in the future

Although, may I ask why you want a new Mac Pro?

7. Hecklerdanny thread starter macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Thanks a lot for the information. I stated in my original post, this system would not be replacing the first Mac Pro. The first Mac Pro is in my office at work. I'm looking at getting a new Mac for home use, and I was interested in how a brand new Mac Pro for home would compare to the Mac Pro I've been using in my office, speed wise. Etc.

8. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Ah...lol...evidence of why you should not come onto forums when slightly drunk...

In that case, the new Mac Pro will be a beautiful machine to work on now and for years to come :)