2 x 22" > 1 x 24" + HDMI ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iZac, Aug 6, 2008.

1. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

simple query, for people to pitch in their two cents, details of my situation below if you want to read on ...

I got a tax rebate recently and im going to spring on some new pixels, budget is around £300. I was thinking of either getting a pair of 22" or a single 24" with an HDMI port, both cost about the same. I sod around browsing and multi tasking, do my share of photoshopping (pallettes on one monitor is great) and run a dual 17" setup at the moment, but i also enjoy using my mac pro as a media centre and watch a load of movies on it. also, my HDMI exbux would be entering the fray and could VGA on one of the 22" or HDMI on the single 24" i also watch films on my bed about 3m or so away. im leaning toward the greater real estate of the 2 x 22". Any thoughts?

EDIT: The sammys i had in mind ...
    22 inch
    24 inch

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

2 22" displays of course, unless you want more pixels. 24" displays have 1920 x 1200 while 22" have 1680 x 1050. But, since you photoshop, dual display is the way to go. I would have to recommend the 22" setup, since you have greater flexibility, with two monitors. The 24" is great for movies because of the pixel count, but there are some disadvantages... Anyway 22" is huge for movies... you will not be disappointed :D

3. iZac thread starter macrumors 68000

iZac

Thanks for the input, Mr Leopard! Although i would love to keep a good dual monitor setup, im leaning now toward the 24" simply for movies, and that i can run my exbux on it at 1080i (1080p if any games ACTUALLY supported it!)

Hell, we could all do with an extra inch or two.

I have a round two question, the 24" res is 1920x1200 just like apples 23" cinema display, and i believe i can rock two ACDs with one graphics card, so am i right in assuming i can do the same with 2x24" since its resolution is identical? a second 24" monitor would be a purchase for the far flung future.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, anything above the Mac Mini and MacBook supports dual-displays. In short, as long as you don't have an Intel GMA chipset, and you have nVidia or ATI graphics chips, dual display is a breeze. You're right assuming the 2X24" dual display setup. Good luck with it!