2 X 27 inch monitors on a Late 2009 Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Gaya, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Gaya macrumors newbie

I have a Mac Mini (Late 2009 Model Mac Mini 3.1)

Video on the Mini is - Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce 9400, Type GPU,Bus PCI,VRAM 256 Mb

I presently have two 20" LCD monitors hooked to it. One to the Mini Display Port and the other to the Mini DVI Port. Works very well

I would like to upgrade the monitors to two 27 inch monitors. LG, Samsung,Phillips.Viewsonic. All have a VGA and a Digital Port. (Apple is too expensive $900 for a 27 inch Monitor -Canada)

They are quite inexpensive at Tiger Direct. $199 each (In store special today)

I wanted to know if I could just replace the 20 LCD that I have with 27 LCD inch.

I went to the Apple store (Genius Bar) and asked them if I could drive two 27 inch monitors off the two video ports. They couldn't answer the question. They consulted with other Geniuses and I got 2 different answers . One saying YES to Two monitors and two answers saying NO. I left confused.

I thought that I should call upon the collective wisdom of the JR group. Can any one tell me if I can drive two 27 inch monitors off the Mac Mini I mentioned above.

I did think of purchasing the two Monitors from Tiger and plugging them in. However Tiger does not give refunds these days and would only give me a store credit , less a 15 % restocking charge.

What do you guys think.

Thanks

Ranjit

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502

Most 27" monitors won't work on the mini-DVI as it only supports up to 1920x1200. The MDP port goes to 2560x1600 with the dual-link DVI adapter (or native DisplayPort)

If they are really cheap and only do 1920x1200 (or less) then they would work.

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Correct. The Mac mini will drive one display of up to 1920x1200 off the HDMI/DVI port and one up to 2560x1600 off the mDP/TB port.

The MacBook Pro and iMac will run two 27" (2560x1440) Thunderbolt displays off the TB port; the Mac mini and the MacBook Air will run only one off the Thunderbolt port.