2 x 8GB RAM in 13" MBP (total 16GB)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simplymuzik3, Feb 8, 2010.

1. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Hi, Im wondering if it will be possible to have a mac with 16GB of RAM. I know that right now the price would be insane, but Im wondering if it will even recognize that much? Usually when Apple posts RAM limits, they are low and the machine can actually handle more. Does anyone even know if you can get that much ram CURRENTLY? I would love to have 16GB or RAM in my 13 MBP. I know that some of you will say "what's the point of making this thread!", but I just want to know if you can even get 8GB laptop sticks and if the MBP will even accept them. Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There don't seem to be 8GB RAM sticks around for this form factor, which is 204-pin 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM.

Apple has previously limited the official amount of supported maximum RAM by 50%, so if officially you can put only 4GB RAM into the machine, some have got 6GB RAM working in those machines.

So you may get 12GB RAM. But maybe it is a hardware limitation, as 8GB is still not the average Joe of RAM usage.

3. Surely Guest

Surely

I can't even imagine why you would need that much RAM on a 13" MBP......

Besides, of course, future proofing it.....:p

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I see what you've done here. :)

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is only one way to do that. It's getting a GoodGirl Con. I call James Ford if he does know anyone.

PS: I would like to have at least 8GB on my iMac, but it is limited to 4GB.

6. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Actually, he was talking about the 13" MacBook Pro, which can handle 8GB of RAM just fine.

As to your question OP, not entirely sure, since there are no 8GB modules at the moment.

7. simplymuzik3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, thanks for the answers. Good to know that you cannot get 8GB sticks right now. I guess I will re-post in a while when the hopefully become available!