Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gazmac2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Like so many of you, I received my new iPad on launch day after ordering it from the Apple Online Store and upon turning it on I noticed 2 dead pixels near the centre of the screen.

No problem I thought, booked a Genius appointment at my local (ish) Apple Store as soon as i could get to it to request an exchange. So on the day of the appointment I was told after 10 minutes of the guy looking at it and making phone calls that it couldn't be exchanged as it was online stock and had to be exchanged via the online store.

I've now arranged a return for refund. Is this right as I thought items could be returned / exchanged to stores or is this just in the US?

G

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Like so many of you, I received my new iPad on launch day after ordering it from the Apple Online Store and upon turning it on I noticed 2 dead pixels near the centre of the screen.

No problem I thought, booked a Genius appointment at my local (ish) Apple Store as soon as i could get to it to request an exchange. So on the day of the appointment I was told after 10 minutes of the guy looking at it and making phone calls that it couldn't be exchanged as it was online stock and had to be exchanged via the online store.

I've now arranged a return for refund. Is this right as I thought items could be returned / exchanged to stores or is this just in the US?

G

This is right, as you purchased it on line you'll have to return it to the online Apple store.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010

G

I was told on the phone that Apple stores wont accept them, as they have to keep the books balanced in the stores themselves.

The weird thing is, you can return MacBooks, iPhones, iMacs, etc, for replacements at Apple stores in the UK. I can only guess that they are limiting instore returns until stock levels improve.

Gazmac2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Thanks guys for the responses.

I'm awaiting a message from the courier to arrange collection now and I'll get a new one when I'm back in Birmingham next.

G :)

Kroxx

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted

Gazmac2010 said:
Thanks guys for the responses.

I'm awaiting a message from the courier to arrange collection now and I'll get a new one when I'm back in Birmingham next.

G :)

I bought mine online and returned it to an apple uk store, the refunded my online purchase to a gift card then purchased an iPad from the store, after opening several defective iPads I even ended up with a cash refund

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It's utter bullcrap. I've exchanged iPhones and almost exchanged an iPad3 (I changed my mind) in a retail store. All were bought online

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
I've exchanged items bought online at the Apple store (Canada). The only requirement is it needs to be within 14 days.

Unfortunate that they won't let you do that. Speak to a manager. If they still say no, just do it through phone support. It's pretty painless. Just takes longer.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
I have to say I agree with @Daneone. I have also exchanged things bought online but, I suspect, it's at the discretion of the store and who you were put in front of that particular day. Bad luck. online return system is pretty good though so wouldn't worry about it. In fact, if I were you I would ring TNT and arrange for a date that is suitable for you to pick up. As long as you start the process within 2 weeks, you are fine. Make sure you have your replacement to hand before you give this one back.

Red 2

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
England, UK
Recently had to return smart cover(damaged leather) bought from Apple UK online store. Not allowed to exchange it in a retail store...had to return to the online store.

Was a little surprised......

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
I returned my online purchased iPad 3 in local Apple store a week ago. I am in Vancouver.

The catch is, the retail store just helped me send the iPad to the online store designated location (Mississauga in Ontario). They did not do a refund on site. But the process was painless. I did the return on last Monday and received confirmation of refund on Friday.

The returned iPad has a dead pixel in the bottom right corner. I purchased another one in Futureshop before returning the defect one. Got a perfect screen, but a little scratch in the back. I could live with that, though.

noshjewman

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I'm surprised to hear this, but the reason is that the online store and the Apple Stores are actually separated businesses within Apple.

It's counter-intuituve, but from what I understand the stores are directly part of the US business while the online store is actually run by Apple UK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.