2 x iphone / 1 itunes account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boyd88, Mar 30, 2016.

1. boyd88 macrumors newbie

On one iTunes account linked through my macbook pro on our computer we currently have my iPhone.

My wife has just got an iPhone too. We want to have all music, pictures etc the same, only difference is we want our own contacts, messages, calendar.

How is best to do this? We want to use my one iTunes account can we use the same apple ids on each account or do we need different ones?

Any help or links to it explained and how to do it would be great :)

2. Closingracer, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016

Closingracer macrumors 68000

You can have two separate id's and share apps ( not every single one but most). Just need to do family sharing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. boyd88 thread starter macrumors newbie

So appleid1@live.co.uk and appleid2@live.co.uk for example then whatever purchases are purchased from each Id can be downloaded to each device if wanted?

Then both devices can be linked to MacBook under the 1 iTunes account for regular updates of music and back ups of stuff etc??

I currently don't have iCloud set up, that is my next topic of help needed

4. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Linked to Macbook? No. Your linking them through iCloud. One is the organizer and the other is the parent/child/ spouse etc. You can share purchases like apps and etc. On iTunes itself even if you didn't do this you can have two devices on there with different id's and both will have the music on it since it's not DRM.

5. boyd88 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I've came across this link

http://www.ianswerguy.com/manage-devices-with-one-apple-id/

Can you still do this? Might be simpler doing this for my wife's iPhone? Pros/cons of this or family sharing thing?

Thanks

6. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

If you share a user ID my impression is that you will get each others' music, media, messages, and contacts. I could be wrong since I've never done that.

Family sharing I believe is what would fit your use case best.

7. Closingracer macrumors 68000

There really isn't any con....unless you're afraid of the other person going and purchasing a ton of apps or etc. Family sharing basically allows family members or friends to share apps and etc but with separate id's. I've only seen a few apps that don't allow sharing.

Just read that thing and while it would work family sharing is easier.