Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Should be able to do that no problem. The previous gen Macbook Pro could run two monitors as well, but the first one had to be Thunderbolt. Now you can use two mini-displayport to XXXX adapters straight out of the MBP.

Will be interesting to see if you can drive a monitor from each mini-displayport connector as well as a third from the HDMI port.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
If your question is if you can hook up two monitors to the mbp. THen yes.

You could do that with the last gen mbp also

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors
Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Could I? I couldn't see how without using a USB connection and converting the signal which was slow.

On the old mbp, you can just daisy chain thunderbolt from the monitors, and still use one cable to the machine.

But yes two monitors was possible on last gen mbp

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But this kind of implies you use the existing screen and an external monitor, I'm asking about connecting 2 external Monitors....Which Apple have told is possible "Yes, the Thunderbolt port is a hybrid Mini display port as well."
Read it again. It clearly says "two external displays" for the retina MBP.

Tombs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
On the old mbp, you can just daisy chain thunderbolt from the monitors, and still use one cable to the machine.

But yes two monitors was possible on last gen mbp

Ah, but they had to be either Thunderbolt monitors or as I said above use one of USB ports with a 3rd party adapter right? Which isn't that great as you get serious lag issues with a USB to monitor..

----------

Read it again. It clearly says "two external displays" for the retina MBP.

Don't need to, Apple have told me it works.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Ah, but they had to be either Thunderbolt monitors or as I said above use one of USB ports with a 3rd party adapter right? Which isn't that great as you get serious lag issues with a USB to monitor..

----------

Don't need to, Apple have told me it works.

On the previous generation, to have two monitors without a USB video adapter, the first monitor had to be a Thunderbolt display. Then you could plug a second monitor (any type that was supported by Mini-Displayport) into the Thunderbolt port on the back of the first display.

Tombs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
On the previous generation, to have two monitors without a USB video adapter, the first monitor had to be a Thunderbolt display. Then you could plug a second monitor (any type that was supported by Mini-Displayport) into the Thunderbolt port on the back of the first display.

Ah, a very expensive way to gain more screen space though. £800 for a thunderbolt monitor is expensive, I wonder if this worked though in a windows 7 enviroment?

----------

Ah, no....Thats not the one Im after, it doesn't say it on the NON retina display MBP"S does it? So I think you need to READ again.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Are you trolling? Look, you posted this...Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications

Its doesn't say anything about TWO EXTERNAL MONITORS, it mentions an external monitor, which would imply only 1.
No, I'm not trolling. You asked about the number of external displays supported, but you didn't specify in your original post whether you meant the MBP or the MBP with the Retina display, so I posted the specs for both. That's not trolling to post facts that answer your question. :rolleyes:

Tombs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
Are you trolling? Look, you posted this...Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical Specifications

Its doesn't say anything about TWO EXTERNAL MONITORS, it mentions an external monitor, which would imply only 1.

Although I think Apple could have made this clearer on their specs for the NON Retina display MBP's that they actually can run 2 external monitors.

----------

No, I'm not trolling. You asked about the number of external displays supported, but you didn't specify in your original post whether you meant the MBP or the MBP with the Retina display, so I posted the specs for both. That's not trolling to post facts that answer your question. :rolleyes:

OK, thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications.jpg
    Apple - MacBook Pro with Retina display - Technical Specifications.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 180

gus6464

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
Ah, a very expensive way to gain more screen space though. £800 for a thunderbolt monitor is expensive, I wonder if this worked though in a windows 7 enviroment?

You can buy a TB->DVI or TB->HDMI adapter for 6 bucks at monoprice. The only thing is that you would be using up both TB ports.

Tombs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England

Now your at it....and this comes from the NON Retina Display MBP's spec sheet does it?

Cant see it here.. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro/select
----------

You can buy a TB->DVI or TB->HDMI adapter for 6 bucks at monoprice. The only thing is that you would be using up both TB ports.

I was referring to the last MBP which had one TB port, the only way to hook up 2 external monitors to the last MBP was either using a USB port and some sort of 3rd party adapter or as Stetrain pointed out via using a Thunderport Monitor and connecting a standard monitor to that.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Actually, that can only work if both are Apple type monitors, the one being the Thunderbolt, and another TB or previous version display daisy chained. For other monitors to daisy chain, there needs to be a thunderbolt storage in between.

Will be interesting to see the limit of the graphics card. Would it allow more than 2? If so, how many. Just on its basic ports, it should be 2 externals through TB, plus one lower res through HDMI.
If you were to expand it using the above daisy chaining, how about 4 Thunderbolt displays?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.