iPad 2 year care?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bokes, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Bokes macrumors 6502

Anyone bite on the 2 year Apple care.
    The clerk told me it covers any cosmetic issues including dings and dents.
    I asked if I drop it- it's covered? He said, "yes it is".

Seems to me- for the cost of a case you can get the care instead.
    That way enjoy the bare thin iPad experience.
    Any scratch, bang, etc.- bring it in for replacement.

I never buy the extended warranty for anything, but this one might make sense.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Accidental damage is covered with AppleCare+, but only two instances, with a service fee. You have to weigh the cost of replacement without AppleCare, which you may or may not have to pay, versus the guaranteed cost of AppleCare, plus the service fee if you have a claim. Read the terms and conditions before you buy, so you know what you're getting.

3. Bear macrumors G3

You get 2 replacements (with co-payment) for accidental damage. I wouldn't just bring it in for a scratch.

I bought AppleCare+ because you never know when you're going to drop it or drop something on it or someone will knock over a glass of liquid on it.

And you want at least a cover (if not a case) just to protect the screen.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've got AppleCare+ on my iPhone and iPad. It already saved me once when I dropped my iPhone 5 down a flight of stairs last year. Given that I have pets, am a coffee drinker, take my gadgets everywhere and both I and my significant other are klutzes, it makes sense to get it.

And no, I would not go and file a claim for just a scratch or minor dent. You only get two of those, as stated above by others. Though things like batteries wearing out and other defect issues are covered beyond that.

What the two accident claims ARE good for are major things, like shattered screens or other damage that makes renders the device unable to keep working.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I just spent $1000 for my Air. Its as much as an MBA, with the only difference I will use and carry a lot more often, with a lot higher chance of dropping and shattering. Applecare+ is cheap insurance.

6. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Sorry to hijack...

but related to this; if you do have AppleCare+, can you bring in a dented iPad for replacement (with fee)? For example, I have an iPad 3 that is still covered with AppleCare+ until next May. Can I bring that in for replacement with an iPad 4, or even an Air?

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No, not unless the dent or scratch interferes with the operation of the iPad. Im thinking the dent needs to be huge.

From the terms: ADH=Accidental Damage from Handling

"ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Device as intended for such Covered Device."

8. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I've only been able to exchange for the same product. If you have an iPhone 4, you'll get an iPhone 4 of the same capacity as your old phone, for example. But I think I've heard of some people getting lucky. Think of a hard-luck story to go along with it. :)

Clint