2 year contracts make sense to do this!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cperchard, Oct 5, 2011.

1. cperchard macrumors 6502a

Imagine they completely change everything about the iphone every year.......people who have the current one will be gutted they still have a year left before they can get the new one.

Going from 3g to 3gs and then 4 to 4s makes sense to me.....everyone who has a 2 year contract with a 3g wont be that upset about not getting a 3gs.......but by the time the 4 came out the 3g users will be amazed.

Same goes with this, i dont think that many people who owns the 4 will be that upset they are on a 2 year contract. The 3GS users are now eligible for upgrades and so the 4S will be a great improvement for them.

Thats the way i look at it anyway, i have a 4 and am sticking with it till something worth buying comes out.....thats not a diss on the 4S....more of a praise of my current 4.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Im Guessing

You are US based? I have a 12 month rolling contract with O2. If I go over my data plan a little, they don't charge me. If they started to Hack me off...I order a new sim form another provider. You guy's seem to tied to Verizon, At&t and 3 that sucks. I buy my phones directly from Apple unlocked and sim free.

I like o2 at the moment, been with them for a couple of years...But they know damn well the option to change is there.....Keeps them on their toes!

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

With us all paying around $75 to $100 a month for basic service I think we should only have to have a 1 year contracts in order to get upgrades.

4. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope i'm UK and did same thing as you, bought the phone for £599 and got sim free tarriff on orange for £15 a month.

But because the upgrade isnt that much of an upgrade in my eyes, i cant warrant paying another £599 for this phone only to probably get around £200 by selling this one?

I was just genearlising in theory why a 2 year contract may make sense for me in future and getting the phone a hell of a lot cheaper, as i didnt wanna do it cos i may miss out on the new phone in a years time. But if they keep this trend going, i see 2 year contracts may be worthwhile saving me a hell of a lot and not changing every year.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

We can buy iPhone direct from apple too at full retail. However with a contract you can get subsized pricing.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In Your Case

Stick with it or wait until your provider offers you an upgrade (which means being tied down) If you do the math, and can put your hands on the money, buying from Apple is the best option.

----------

But still limited to choice of service providers?

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

It's a whole different mindset here in the USA.

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

we have 3 people on our line and every year there is another upgrade available so that is how I get the new one every year. The only problem this year is that my dad decided to upgrade his and proceed t loose it so there goes the 2 upgrades we had. Yes it does lock us in but its not permeant as we can pay an etf if we want to switch.