2 year old buying apps!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Alleyoop, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Alleyoop macrumors member

Hi all! First post, but been lurking for a while. Anyway, I have a 2 year old who loves the iPod Touch. He always begs me to buy new apps. Well, sometimes I just don't have the time and I will hand him the Touch and make dinner or whatever. Well recently I noticed that he figured out how to download apps by hisself. The problem is that he has been downloading gaming apps that cost money! Recently I received about $15.00 worth of charges from iTunes because of this. I always have to enter my password when I buy an app. My password is not simple enough for a child who just turned 2 to guess. It has many letters and numbers. Do some apps have a glitch that allows them to be downloaded without entering a password? Could I get my money back somehow?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I think that for your two-year-old to be able to memorize your password after seeing you put it in and then put it in himself, you should be rewarding him and saving to send him to a good school. :D

There is no way to get them without a password, so he's either doing the above or someone gave him help.

3. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

You cannot get your money back and there is a feature that comes to mind when you mention that there is not a password prompt. If you entered your Apple ID password for anything on the phone, except on the internet, you will not have to enter it for 5 minutes (I think) after the last purchase.

David

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Someone is helping the lad, or you're getting charged for stuff you forgot buying. ;)

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That is some precocious 2 year old… ;)

You did say 2 year old?
    I thought at that age they could barely talk let alone articulate things like begging his parent(s) to buy apps on an electronic device.

Looks like university before 8 years old?

Are we quite sure daddy isn't trying to justify buying apps he didn't want to buy?

6. Alleyoop thread starter macrumors member

I am positive no one is helping him. It will be me and him home alone and I will leave the room and come back and see the new apps. I have seen him go to the app strore and try to make purchases, but when I see him try to enter the password, he has never done it correctly in front of me. Granted, he has been reading simple words since he was one, but I just don't think he could remember the password. It has 7 letters and 3 numbers. I'd love to think he is a genius, but I do not think he is *that* smart! He is surprisingly computer literate for 27 months though! I would imagine then, that what David said is true-that you do not have to reenter the password for a certain amount of time. Though I swear I have bought apps before consecutively and have had to reenter the passcode. Anyone know exactly under what circumstances that works?

7. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

o_O woah there. Genius 2 year old! the next bill gates! or steve jobs as i should say if i fear the flaming. ahhh well i'll say the next computer genius for our world! :p

Whenever i buy my apps. i only do it on the computer, havnt done it on the ipod touch for a long time. but i will always have to enter my password when BUYING apps but when its free apps i just click the buy button and BAM right there

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well maybe next time look behind the curtains or under the sofa before you leave the room.
    Whatever the explanation it won't beat a 2 year old navigating a touch display.

Have you also checked your recent calls list?
    Next thing he's dialing up 0800-HOT-BABES.

;)

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Barely talk??? my 2 year old is speaking full sentences and she can use my iPhone to play games and look at photos. Luckily she hasn't purchased any Apps.

10. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

Your child is a genius, and obviously is very adept at using Apple products. Should have a long and fruitful career behind your local genius bar.

11. Alleyoop thread starter macrumors member

:p (wanted to do the bouncing laughing guy, but can't find it on this forum)

12. Colin20 macrumors regular

agreed.