Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
So, my MBP 2.16 core duo just started totally dieing at about 76 - 79% No sleep mode or any warning. Has 228 cycles and about this mac still thinks the battery condition is: good. Has been a great battery till now. Any ideas and what to do or do you think this battery is shot? Tried the recalibration but again only got to 78% before shutting the computer totally down. Thanks in advance.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Reset the SMC. Shut down, unplug all peripherals and the magsafe, take out the battery, and hold down the power button for five seconds.

DaLurker

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
So, my MBP 2.16 core duo just started totally dieing at about 76 - 79% No sleep mode or any warning. Has 228 cycles and about this mac still thinks the battery condition is: good. Has been a great battery till now. Any ideas and what to do or do you think this battery is shot? Tried the recalibration but again only got to 78% before shutting the computer totally down. Thanks in advance.

Time for a replacement. My father's MBP battery was experiencing the same symptoms and we took it to the Apple store where they promptly replaced it.

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
If you didn't buy it between Feb2006-Apr2007, it won't qualify as a defective battery and you won't get it replaced without Applecare.

I have the same problem, resetting SMC and PMC didn't help. Had it checked by an apple representative and it showed "Bad battery" results although System Profiler shows "Good".

Solution: New battery. $143.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
If you didn't buy it between Feb2006-Apr2007, it won't qualify as a defective battery and you won't get it replaced without Applecare.

I have the same problem, resetting SMC and PMC didn't help. Had it checked by an apple representative and it showed "Bad battery" results although System Profiler shows "Good".

what lies!!! batteries arent cheap are they!

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
that's rough man. but yeah go ahead and take everyone's advice in a logical order.

1. Calibrate the Battery,
2. Reset the SMC
3. worst case scenario you got 2 full years out of the battery..

grab another or (if you have money to spend) buy a new MBP and use it for 'on the go' and keep your current MBP as a desktop :)

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan

I don't think they are doing the battery recall for those machines anymore. But yeah some places might still do it for free.

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
what lies!!! batteries arent cheap are they!
I lie to you not. The representative stuck a USB key in the port that had a program on it that tested the battery specifically. He booted up the system via the Option button (aka. the boot camp screen) and selected the USB drive. The results of the test indicated in big bold red letters BAD BATTERY. I saw him do the test in front of me.

You unfortunately cannot calibrate the battery because calibration requires allowing the mbp to go to sleep after it displays "Warning, battery is low". With this problem at hand, the computer automatically shuts down at random power levels and won't start up without a power cord. Pressing the battery button at the back of the mbp shows a flashing single green light.

I have tried calibrating it by putting the computer to sleep manually at approximately 50% battery life (mine would shut down at around 46%) and leaving it alone for over 24 hours. It does not calibrate, I urge you to not waste your time.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Just purchased a new battery

Well, after resetting the SMC I got to 93% and then died... :) Funny thing is the lights on the battery still say it is holding a charge. Ended up purchasing a new one off Amazon for $84.00, $91.00 shipped and a year warranty. No Apple store in PR so I am just gonna go the internet route. 2.5 years is not to shabby for a battery. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.