2 year plan or upgrade program?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Paragonal17, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Paragonal17 macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

I'm really torn on what to do. Here is a breakdown.This is with Verizon.

My current phone bill is $131/mo - 2 phones with unlimited talk/text and 2gb on each phone (we are constantly on wifi and don't need the data. This is not an issue at all).

I can preorder the iPhone 6s+ 64gb for $400 + $70 in taxes/upgrade fee. This allows me to renew my contract for 2 years. So, over 24 months this will be 131/mo + a one time fee of 470.

OR I can do the installment plan.
    $35.41/mo for the iPhone 6s+ 64gb - so my monthly bill becomes about $166/mo but no downpayment.

I know the installment plan is more expensive in the long run, but the appealing feature is upgrading every year because I can just pay off the remaining balance next year, get the iPhone 7 and then sell my 6s+ for a good chunk of change. But I still feel weird about this installment plan. I am just wanting other opinions/advise?

I'm not really open to switching carriers. And Verizon's program seems cheaper than the apple upgrade program, less the apple care.

Thanks!

2. fjfjfjfj macrumors regular

In my opinion, if you want to be able to upgrade each year when the latest and greatest phones come out, you should do the installment plan. You can make more than enough by selling the phone after a year to pay the rest of the installments off.

Also, did you look into how much Verizon gives you off the line fee when you do the installment plan? It can actually make it cheaper.

3. Paragonal17 thread starter macrumors newbie

I checked, but since I'm on their loyalty plan, which is the cheapest plan they have I believe (60/mo per phone), there is no discount.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps it would make sense to switch to one of the current plans and get the discount for going with installment plan?