2 Year Plan Required?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 08mxkfx, Aug 12, 2008.

1. 08mxkfx macrumors regular

08mxkfx

I sold my friend my old orignal iPhone since i got a new 3g and he wants to get a plan for it and it says he can only get a 2year plan through iTunes. Is he required to get a 2 year plan? If not then i can just unlock it for him and he can get a regular plan right?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

First of all, where are you? It sounds like you are in the US, in which case 2 years is a "standard plan." So what's your question?

If your friend already has an AT&T account (or T-mobile) then unlocking it will let him/her use their current SIM.

3. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

Yes im in the US and he doesnt want a 2 year plan because he doesnt want to be stuck with att for 2 years.

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

he might be required to take a 2-year contract if he wants to use one of the iPhone plans. If you unlock it, he can use one of the regular cell plans and might be able to go month-to-month. Anyway, just tell him to call AT&T.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

First, is your friend already with AT&T? If he is with AT&T, he can just transfer his SIM card to his iPhone and then pay the $20 Data Plan, and he's good to go. There's no requirement for an additional 2-year plan with v1 iPhone. If he's not with AT&T, then he can look into unlocking the iPhone and going to T-Mobile or Centennial, etc. and put their SIM card into the iPhone. Either way you need to explain whether he is with AT&T or not... :confused:

6. 08mxkfx thread starter macrumors regular

08mxkfx

He is not an ATT customer but he wants to use ATT. it says that it needs to activated through iTunes and if he does that they want to get a 2 yr plan. I tried using my sim card and it still shows the plug into iTunes thing.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If that's the case, then yes, he'll need to activate as a new customer and it's just like he was signing up for any other phone with AT&T. He could also go with "The Go Phone Account" and pay monthly fees. Not sure about the Data Plan, but that might be $20 per month as well. Have him call AT&T at 800-331-0500, and he can get his questions answered.

8. CrosshairDF2 macrumors member

Over at hofo, somebody is using a prepaid GO phone sim for voice and is on month-to-month for data on the iPhone.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1415706