2 year warranty is the law in the EU?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tomb85, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Tomb85 Guest

Tomb85

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

You can try… but Apple plays by its own rules…

Good luck.

3. Tomb85 thread starter Guest

Tomb85

Wow this thread has been modded to hell lol...

4. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Well, I'm in Spain and my iPhone is now over 1 year old. I called Movistar (the official carrier) to ask what the warranty was. They told me I had a two year warranty.

Somehow I think that after the year has passed the iPhone will be serviced by Movistar, not Apple. Can't 100% confirm that but I'm pretty sure that's what would happen.

5. alexph macrumors regular

Interesting question.

The warranty supplied by the manufacturer/supplier is IN ADDITION to your rights as a consumer, which effectively say that goods must be fit for purpose.
    Now for example a TV would be expected to last a lot longer than 12 months warranty, and as such you can go back to the store and say fix it please - for free.

This is one of the reasons why car manufacturers now give 3/5 year warranty on their products.

So i guess the question is, how long would it be reasonable for a mobile phone costing £300 to be expected to last? My guess is 2/3 years.

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

As the EU directive clearly states, the seller (which is defined as a distinct entity from the manufacturer) has an obligation to make sure their product is fit for its intended use for a period of at least 2 years if the product was not mishandled during that time.

If you bought the phone from Apple, then Apple is the seller and it must live up to those requirements.

If you bought the phone from, say, a T-Mobile retail store, then it's T-Mobile, not Apple, that must ultimately provide or pay for such coverage.