2 years later ; Mac Pro vs. Dell

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Amethyst, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Amethyst macrumors 6502

2. wawanarchist macrumors regular

It's the sad truth... But did anyone mention that you cant run osx on a dell! :eek:

3. slicedbread macrumors regular

Sure the numbers aren't directly comparable since the hardware is differet, but anything even near a $1500 discrepancy is quite alot to pay for one OS over another.

4. wawanarchist macrumors regular

Just to make it clear, I was being sarcastic, I think Apple is brutally overcharging for all of their new updates

5. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

But you can and that is what Apple is in court to fight. I hope they lose at this point maybe it will lower their stupid prices.

6. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

looks really good till you see the Quadro in the Dell, those things are expensive.

7. wawanarchist macrumors regular

I'm about to pull the trigger on a studio xps, after 25% off I can get 8gb of ram, a good video card, 500gb hd, and the 2.66 i7 chip with dells top of the line 24" ultrasharp for $1,400...

8. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

This is too funny. I can understand when a company keeps its prices high to maintain exclusivity and demand. But if you also try to pitch a low end computer (mini) it kind of defeats the purpose. I hope they feel a big hit when these things are on sale, that no one buys them, and they are forced to lower the prices.

This is getting really gay Apple.

9. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Have fun in Windows land, I bet you will be back soon.

Farewell.

(actually if going Windows at least wait for Windows 7 to come out)

10. slicedbread macrumors regular

sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internets...! :)

11. wawanarchist macrumors regular

Don't I know it... It's always good to let people know

I'm sure I will be back, and if you look at my thread "G5, I'm so sory..." you can help me decide between what I buy next

12. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

That comparison isn't even fair. The two computers use completely different processors and system architectures.

The Studio XPS is using a desktop core i7, a $600 processor. The Mac Pro is using a Xeon X5500, a $1300 process. The Studio is only capable of having one processor, the Mac Pro can handle two.

Compare to a Precision and you might have an argument but you will find the prices are MUCH closer.

13. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Quick thought, what if the price increase is there to compensate for the fact that snow leopard will be a free upgrade?

Think about that.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

15. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Double check the specs and see if you can make a Hackintosh out of your Dell.

I would go for a 2008 8-Core 2.8ghz myself, and grab a 4870 card.

16. wawanarchist macrumors regular

So would I, if I could afford it

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

While not exactly the same they are both using $284 processors. But I am interested in seeing what the UP Precisions are like, they surely won't be more than $1500 based on the XPS pricing. The DP Precisions will likely be closer to Apple's prices.

edit: The single processor Mac Pros are using a Xeon W3520 with the option of a Xeon W3540.

18. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Check Craigslist and Ebay this week.

I bet some people are selling theirs cheap to get Nehalem.

19. wawanarchist macrumors regular

Ebay is a hell hole when it comes to mac, theres always like 10 people who will keep on bidding until it is well over the price it should be, I have been checking craigslist though, and I wish I had access to the macrumors marketplace, alas, I am but a newb... Anyone here looking to sell? I doubt it

20. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope Mac pro "Quad-Core" using Xeon 3520 that = Core i7 920 , both price / performance

21. m1stake macrumors 68000

The Dell and the Mac Pro have small differences. They use the same processor, but the Mac has ECC memory support. The 920 is a $230 processor most days. The single quad Mac Pro is using a 3500 series processor. The single quad Mac Pro only has one socket.

It's a sad day when ECC memory is the only difference between these computers, and yet they have a $1500 gap in price. Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Leopard wasn't a free upgrade for people that bought iMacs the month before. Even if SL is a free upgrade for some people, it hardly makes up for these unreasonably high prices. At most it'll be $129, which certainly doesn't even begin to cover the rest of this 40% mark up.

A disclaimer. I spend a lot of money when I buy a computer. Expensive hardware isn't a problem. But the idea is that I get what I pay for. Q6700 for $250, fair. 8800GTX, $600, fair. The computer that used to be in my signature was more than $2,000 when I built it (Q6700, 8800GTX, 2 x 250GB, 3GB, 680i board, etc), and it has been worth the money. Apple's "Pro" computer is at least $700 too expensive for what it really is, and it shows.

22. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

Well for what it's worth....

I decided last month I had it waiting on a new MP. I went for the Studio XPS maxed out. Blue ray, 2.93 ect... With the 25% off it was still around $2000. I figured I could deal with Vista and Dell. For the most part, my dell experiences have been excellent, no build quality problems whatsoever, no vista issues, no driver problems.... Until this box came. The box is in perfect shape, no dents, nothing. I pull the actual computer out. There is this banging noise inside, i think nothing of it. I plug in and boot up.... Nothing.... The black screen comes up saying there is no boot device. I move it over to make sure everything is plugged in right, and theres that banging again. I realize, that's gotta be the hard drive. I open it up and sure enough the HD isnt attached to ANYTHING. its just swinging around in there. Upon further inspection, I see the SATA connector it broken, so it cannot properly attach to the HD. The plastic connector was in two pieces thus not allowing the data to be read. Needless to say, this one went back for a refund.

Here I am a month later, and I just ordered my new Mac Pro through the ADC student store. I went with the 4 core 2.66 i7 Xeon and the high end graphics + 2 DVD drives and the wireless card. I figure I'll upgrade everything else myself. So in the end, I got what I wanted. OSX and Vista, a better built machine, good customer service, an expandable unit without digging through wires and just a more reliable machine.

Also... the dell isnt a Xeon processor, arent those more reliable and better built long term?

23. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

+1

for me the new mac pro must cost around 1700-1900, When we saw at pc component price

24. m1stake macrumors 68000

Lemons happen. As far as 1, 2, 3, and 4 are concerned, you're in for a surprise.

25. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

The links of those images are broken. I cannot see anything. :(