2 Years Since Switching to Mac - Still have Issue with this one thing..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by meagain, Jun 22, 2008.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

After 2 years since 'switching' I'm still finding one thing a great annoyance.

When reducing/enlarging a window - I have to put my mouse on the TINY little lower right corner triangle and drag to size. My husband who I'm still trying to convert, is astonished at the ridiculousness of this. I can't argue.

Am I missing something? Is this truely the only way to resize a window and there's no 'click on any side/bottom/top bar as in Windows? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I have another annoyance like this but it's less critical (print select!).

2. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I'm afraid that's the only way I know of. :eek:

Try using Linux though, and you'll soon realize how huge Apple's search draggie really is! :)

3. cube macrumors G4

Normally, on an X11 desktop you can also click on the border of the window to get a menu from where you can choose "Move" or "Resize", when the usual part is out of the screen.

4. bandaros macrumors member

Hah I was just thinking about this today - it's somewhat of a recurring niggle with me...

5. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I will actually say that the "draggy" thing is a point of pleasure for me

i much prefer this method to the resizing methods on other Os's

6. mktb macrumors newbie

I agree. I like the fact that it's not resizable in every corner/side. Also creates cleaner windows without borders.

7. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Yea, I gladly give up the ability to resize windows on every side if there is no border. I absolutely love the fact that the are pretty much no visible borders on the windows here.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its gain of looks at the expense of functionality. of course, everybody has their own preference. No way around it.

9. ihabime macrumors 6502

Actually, on X11 you can't move or resize the windows with the mouse, that sort of thing is handled by the window manager :D

10. mongrol macrumors regular

Actually, linux has the biggest resize gadgets of all. Nearly all window managers support a modkey for resizing. Hold down ALT or Meta, click hold anywhere in the window and it resizes. Basically the entire window is divided into quarters with each being a giant resize gadget. w1n!

11. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Am I missing something?? What's the big deal about having to use the bottom right corner to resize the window. Is it really that much of an effort to cause someone to complain in this forum? LOL

I guess Windows must really be better than OS X after all ;)

Cheers,
    :):apple:

12. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

The other thing I find annoying about it if the window is sized in such a way that the little triangle is right by the dock to where it's just a hair difference between hitting the dock buttons and the triangle.

Well - I wish there was a tweak to make it bigger. No huh?

13. hubristol macrumors regular

hubristol

I totally forgot Windows apps allowed you to drag from multiple sides. I've been so accustomed to the corner drag that I'd forgotten.

14. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

Moving or hiding the dock would solve that problem.

15. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

WOW... no offense but to the average user that's a heck of a lot of work with little return for the effort. Clearly it's designed for gear-heads? And it reminds me of the SNL skit way back in the 70's where it took 4 hands to operate a digital watch.

Original poster: No, you must use the green button or drag the bottom right. End of story, move along.
    :)

17. Xavier macrumors 68020

Thats one of the differences between Mac > Windows.

But, if you notice, after you have resized your window for Safari or Finder or many others, it retains that size after you close it and reopen. If you are like me and many others, you dont actually fill your entire screen with a safari window, so this shouldn't be a 'daily' thing. It should be a few times a week thing, resizing windows.