Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philipg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
2 Years ago today I brought my first ever mac, I have never once had a problem with it and it has served me well with all of the audio recording I do. I have read these forums quite alot but never posted .. here are the details

15" MBP Late 08 model, 2.53ghz, 4gb, 320gb, nvidia 9600

I think the SMC has died big time

basically Dim green light when its plugged in, magsafe tests ok, SMC reset does nothing, cant power on the machine at all. Charge indicator button does nothing, cant get the machine to do anything at all basically apart from show a dim green light on the magsafe plug when plugged in

Is this a replaceable part? I have no worries with pulling the thing apart, I have repaired many pc laptops but macs are a new area for me.

Im guessing my luck it is part of the main board ( logic board in macs? )

if anyone could guide me in the right direction to find a replacement that would be great, so annoying that such a "low level" chip can cause so much chaos :(

makes sense it wont power on when reading this from the apple support page.

Additional Information
The System Management Controller (SMC) is responsible for many low-level functions on Intel-based Macs. These functions include:

Responding to presses of the power button
Responding to display lid opening and closing on portable Macs
Battery management
Thermal management
The SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor)
Ambient light sensing
Keyboard backlighting
Status Indicator Light (SIL) management
Battery status indicator lights
Selecting an external (instead of internal) video source for some iMac displays

anorchidtexture

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2010
my mbp is exhibiting the same issue... wonder if anyone has been through this and come out with a working computer in the end. basically the thing shut down spontaneously in the middle of watching some youtube last night, and hasnt responded to the power button since then. i experienced alot of the symptoms outlined in this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964--already tried resetting smc, no luck. my mbp is a 2007 model, so i went through the defective nvidia 8600 issue and ended up getting my logic board replaced about 8 months ago because of it. i will probably end up visiting the apple store soon with this problem but in the meantime hopefully someone can shed some light on this

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
2 Years ago today I brought my first ever mac, I have never once had a problem with it and it has served me well with all of the audio recording I do. I have read these forums quite alot but never posted .. here are the details

15" MBP Late 08 model, 2.53ghz, 4gb, 320gb, nvidia 9600

I think the SMC has died big time

basically Dim green light when its plugged in, magsafe tests ok, SMC reset does nothing, cant power on the machine at all. Charge indicator button does nothing, cant get the machine to do anything at all basically apart from show a dim green light on the magsafe plug when plugged in

Is this a replaceable part? I have no worries with pulling the thing apart, I have repaired many pc laptops but macs are a new area for me.

Im guessing my luck it is part of the main board ( logic board in macs? )

if anyone could guide me in the right direction to find a replacement that would be great, so annoying that such a "low level" chip can cause so much chaos :(

makes sense it wont power on when reading this from the apple support page.

Additional Information
The System Management Controller (SMC) is responsible for many low-level functions on Intel-based Macs. These functions include:

Responding to presses of the power button
Responding to display lid opening and closing on portable Macs
Battery management
Thermal management
The SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor)
Ambient light sensing
Keyboard backlighting
Status Indicator Light (SIL) management
Battery status indicator lights
Selecting an external (instead of internal) video source for some iMac displays

I was listening to a Mac Powerusers podcast today, and Katie Floyd reported that her Air just stopped working all of a sudden and wouldn't start. She had to have her logic board replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.