20,000rpm drive

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Spikeanator6982, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The future is SSD type memory devices.

Not a matter of if, but when.

Apparently, HD manufactures are feeling the pressure.

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

WD will have SSD development going on and this has surely been in development for sometime. I don't think it is reactionary. Non-SSD drives are going to be around for a long time yet.

4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Is there maximum write limit on SSDs or have they got round that?

5. nickane macrumors 6502

6. kahine macrumors regular

Let me know when I can pick up an SSD harddrive that is a TB plus in size for around 150 bucks daily -

SSD has a long , long way to go to replace today's harddrives

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

LOL! :D
    The article mentioned 12 to 18 months (est.?) for the prices to lower. Nor was there any mention of an increase of capacity during this time.

So it seems to be awhile off before the cost and capacity of SSD's reach mainstream acceptance. :(
    Performance junkies, or guinea pigs if you prefer, will take likely the plunge earlier. :p

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

20,000 RPM 3.5 inch drive ... no.

20,000 RPM 2.5 inch drive in a 3.5 inch enclosure ... me thinks there is a reason why they are doing this.

Of course.

But eventually, moving HDs will be thing of the past. How long this will take is anybody's guess.

I agree, but with that kind of enclosure, they may be able to silence it quite a bit. After all it is a 2.5 inch HD in a 3.5 inch enclosure.

In 1994, I purchased the largest HD you could get for AV recording.

It was a 1GB Seagate Barracuda drive. Had a SCSI interface. Cost me $1,200 if memory serves.

Today, 15 years later, you can get 1,000 times the storage for about 1/8 the price.

Around that same time, a 32MB SIMM cost $3,200.

Today I can get 32GB flash memory. Cost is less than $200. Yes, flash memory is not the same as RAM, but flash was not available back then so only using for a price comparison.

So 15 years later I can get 1,000 times the memory for 1/16 the cost.

Within 10 years (probably closer to 5 years), I would expect to see almost all laptop/portable devices running on flash memory.

Flash memory is more power efficient, lighter, quieter, no moving parts, etc. This type of storage is very advantageous to the mobile user.

Granted it won't be overnight.

I would suggest that it is probably not as long as you think.

Let me give you an older example that might illustrate/indicate what we will see.

Back when 4MB RAM memory chips were the largest on the market and just introduced, certain labs, which will remain Nameless had 16MB RAM memory chips working in the lab. My friend was an engineer who was working on them. It took almost 3-4 years to see commercial examples. Before the 16's were released, the 8's were released. Why? Marketing and sales.

If you think for a moment that 64GB SSDs are the largest out there, you have a big surprised waiting for you. But companies need to make money to cover R&D costs. So we won't see them on the market for a while. But they will come.

It all depends what are the time definitions. ;)

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'm under no delusions that even 128 GB is all they've developed. And as you indicate, they will release capacities incrementally. ;)

I was just thinking time in terms of for the sake of argument (the post I replied), a 1TB SSD at around current 1TB SATA II prices (inflation adjustment likely applicable). Tomorrow wouldn't be a safe bet. ;) :p
    My instincts bring me to expect say 3 - 5 years. Current drive tech will be milked for all it's can, and as you say, any company developing SSD's (or anything else for that matter), want the R&D costs back much sooner than later. :eek:

Unfortunately, we must be patient. :( :p

10. nick9191 macrumors 68040

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Would the wiki page for RaceTrack suffice?
    There are also some other interesting possibilities listed on the right hand side of the page. ;)

12. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

I'm going to be sad to see traditional hard drives go. I like them, odd as that may seem.

I really don't like SSD, for reasons I can't quite explain. It just feels like they're dead, in a way. I realize that makes little sense, but it's how I feel. =\

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree.

IMHO, this is not a long time.

:)

They always do.

Maybe a better way of putting it, is rotational storage devices (Currently 1, 1.8, 2.5 and 3.5 inch HDs) verses solid state storage devices (SSD devices used in a few laptops) and flash memory in iPods and iPhone type devices.

My guess is that solid state devices will surpass rotational storage devices.

Many years ago I saw a presentation on a crystal based storage system that used lasers to read and change the bits. If memory serves, 1 cubic cm would store a tera of bits. Using 10 bits to a byte, that's 100GB.

So if you had a 10 cm x 10 cm x 1 cm slab of this material, assuming it is scalable, that would be 10TBs of information. Not bad at all.

Don't know what will be the predominant storage system in the future, other than to believe it will be non-rotating. HDs have served us well over the years. But I see us moving on to solid state.

14. YouArentJ macrumors member

YouArentJ

Yeah - like wrapping a chain saw in a blanket to muffle it :D

15. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

There will always be a maximum read/write limit on an SSD, just as there is on a mechanical hard drive. This is why good manufacturers often post reliability specs for their drives. Whether you like it or not, electronics are prone to failure. It's not a matter of if, but when...

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

This was an area of research of an old professor of mine, Rolf Hummel. It was fascinating stuff to be sure, and I would hesitate to hazard a guess as to when we'll see it in the wild. Most of it was DOD funded, and they don't like to share. ;) :p

No exact idea either, but definitely agree it won't be using moving parts. :D Solid state here we come! The exact version on the other hand, is anybody s guess. ;) But some possible candidates were listed in the 'Upcoming' section of the RaceTrack wiki, beginning with FeRAM.

Might be interesting to look over, if you're unfamiliar with it, bored, and have the time. :)
    Just don't let it interfere with MacRumors. :p

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

Absolutely. :)

Just doing a quick check, the RiDATA NSSD-S25-128-C04MPN has an MTBF of 2,000,000 hours.
    While the Seagate Barracuda ES.2 series drives has a MTBF of 1,200,000 hours.

Quite a notable improvement! :)
    Now, if they just make it affordable...//grumble..growl...hurry up and wait...growl//. :p

18. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Ya, there always will be. Its the nature of IC chips, they can only be flashed / written to so many times.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:D

I would think that the larger enclosure around a 2.5 inch drive would silence quite a bit. Better bearings. Quieter actuators. (Using the 2.5 inch version compared to 3.5 inch version already helps. Less mass to move.) Possibly a lighter disk structure. Improved perpendicular storage methodology.

Yes, I think that it could be done. As for the price. Ha ha! If you have to ask, you probably cannot afford it. :p

As someone who worked for the DoD, I would like to say... :p

Who knows, we may see something that isn't public knowledge at this time.

Maybe even bio chips. :) (Just speculating here.)

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

People sitting precariously on the edge of their seats to listen, only to hear //sounds from crickets// emminating from the podium. :p

Must...not...drool... :D :p

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Here you go. A high tech drool cup. :p

Attached Files:

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

ROFL!!! :D
    I thought I was going to crack a rib. :p