20" - 24" Display: Apple or Non-Apple?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nope7308, Jan 2, 2009.

1. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Essentially, I want a large screen display for home use and the most 'demanding' requirement would be watching HD movies. The 24" Cinema Display is absolutely perfect for the following reasons (in order)...
    1) Functionality and simplicity (e.g. MagSafe and no excessive wires - this is HUGE for me because I'm always on the run)
    2) Panel quality
    3) Build quality
    4) Design

EXCEPT... it cost $500 more than I'm willing to spend :eek: H-IPS or not, $1000 is $1000. At most, I would be willing to pay an extra $100 for an Apple display to have the functionality/design. I'm trying to figure out if I should get my hopes up for Macworld or start looking elsewhere. I can't remember the name of the panel that's in between TN and H-IPS, but my dream monitor would be the current 24" Cinema Display with that mid-level panel for about $500.

Concerning HD movies, would there be much difference between 24" display and, say, a 20" or 22" display? I know 24" is the only true HD display (1080p), but I'm sure the others would look great as well, right?

Here is a quick summary... let me know if you have any suggestions! Thanks!

Intended Use:
    - Main display when at home
    - Watching HD movies

Desired Features:
    - Glossy display with good max brightness
    - Good contrast ratio with deep blacks
    - Balance between design and functionality (e.g. thin frame, minimal wires, doesn't contrast with the MB, etc.)

Price Range:
    $500ish

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

This is significantly under you budget, but have you looked at the Dell 24"? I think it's a great monitor. 1920 x 1080 with HDMI input. Obviously you can get it from Dell, but I also know that OWC has it for less than $300.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Dell/S2409W/

I

3. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I'm not the OP, but I'm in the same boat, so I thought I'd get in on the fun.

Do you know if that Dell is glossy or matte? I love my parents' glossy iMac, but I have a huge north-facing window just over my shoulder (and I live in Florida), so I'm really concerned about glare... I think I'd be better off with matte. Thoughts?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Apple ACDs are a huge ripoff. They use the same display panels as Dell, yet somehow manage to charge that much more for them. Avoid Apple monitors if you're looking to save money, you're not getting anything "better" except for maybe a more attractive design, which you won't care about when you turn the lights off to watch your movie anyway.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Dell, has a matte 24" for about 600 bucks, It has a nice pane and very good colors with deep blacks. It's the 2408WFP.

6. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

No. Absolutely incorrect. A monitor is not a monitor is not a monitor.

http://www.lcdpaneltypes.net/

The Dell linked uses TN (bad), whereas Apple uses IPS (good).

And that Dell uses VA, which is middle of the road, and probably a really good value.

7. brentsg macrumors 68030

Way, way off base with this. They use completely different panel technologies in most cases.

8. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

I know Apple makes quality displays, but their pricing still seems a bit steep. The 24" Cinema Display was designed specifically for the MB line, but it costs nearly as much as the entry level MB... something is definitely wrong with that picture (even with the H-IPS panel).

Like I said, my ideal display would be the 24" Cinema Display with a PVA panel for about $500. I've heard a lot of good things about the Dell Ultrasharp(s), but here are my concerns:
    - Build quality (does the plastic flex at all?)
    - Matte screen (I want glossy)
    - I find it mildly ugly
    - No speakers
    - Somewhat clashes with the MB
    - I can't view the display in-person prior to buying it

I found this new Dell (SP2309W), but I have no idea what kind of panel it uses... any thoughts? Thanks again!

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/pro...l.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-7641

EDIT:
    Also, if I do choose to go with Dell, what kind of cable will I need to connect to the mini-display port? Are there any compatibility issues that I should be aware of? Thanks again.

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I have the Dell 2005FPW and its' three years old, however it has an S-IPS panel. But the plastic does not flex at all and I don't even know why that would be a worry, it's stationary. What do want do beat up your monitor? You can buy a sound bar for the monitor (I have it.) It sounds pretty good not great. I don' know why it's ugly it's just black like the Cinema Display but with a smaller bezel.

The 23" your looking at is a TN panel. If do go dell you need the mini display port to DVI.

10. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

My brother has a cheap Acer monitor and the plastic frame has some give to it. As a result, when you adjust the monitor with one hand, you hear this very annoying creaking sound. Given that the monitor is going to double as TV of sorts, I think it's a perfectly legitimate question to ask. In terms of design, I just don't like the stand of the Ultrasharps... I know that's being picky, but if I'm dropping $500 on a display, I want it to be perfect.

Which displays actually have the PVA panels in them? This would make it a lot easier to identify my options, but manufacturers are less than forthcoming when it comes to stating the panels they use.

I wish I could actually inspect one of these Dell monitors in person... why is it that big box stores refrain from carrying a large selection of Dells?

11. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The 2408 has S-PVA, most of the cheaper dell monitors are TN. The stand Looks fine to me. I don't really like the look of the Cinema displays stand. (Looks super Flimsy).

There are ways of looking up Panel types online. In store you can just look at the viewing angle. If they are almost 180 degrees and very good up and down it's most likely PVA or IPS.

You don't see dell in store because up until now they were never in stores. You won't see the 2408WFP because that's now what the average person wants so stores don't carry them.

12. nope7308 thread starter macrumors 65816

nope7308

Thanks for your replies.

The Dell 2408 is the only display I know of that comes with a VA panel... which other manufacturers/displays do the same? There seems to be a pretty large gap between the TN panels and the IPS panels...

I figure a VA panel is probably best since I need good viewing angles and colour accuracy (photo-editing, but not professional). What about Samsung? Do you know if they have any VA panels in 22"-24" displays? For some reason, they're a lot easier to find in store.

13. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The Samsung 245T is a S-PVA panel. So is the Samsung 2263PW. The rest are TN.