20.2x20.5cm Sensor

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by emorydunn, Aug 31, 2010.

1. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

Figured this probably needs to be in this forum.

Canon has developed a 202x205mm sensor that can (apparently) shoot video at 60fps in moonlight. Although, really that's not very interesting seeing as this is the photography forum. Canon's press release is rather void of any actual information and tech specs on the sensor.

But, this is basically a large format sensor so I can only imagine the camera needed to house this thing. As well as the cost for all of that, but we probably won't be seeing this in any "consumer" cameras any time soon.

And here's the link: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/31/canon-develops-worlds-largest-cmos-sensor-shoots-60fps-video-i/

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Looks like this one coupled with the 120MP APS-C format sensor, Canon is showing off their prowress in sensor fabrication. I would love to see the lens to match that sensor size. That's about as large as 8x10 film view cameras.

As an aside, anybody know the size of sensors they use in astrophotography? Like the ones in major observatories, not what hobbyists use on their own telescopes which are usually DSLRs. I thought they were using pretty large detectors too (usually cooled) just because the objects they shoot are so faint.

Ruahrc

3. emorydunn thread starter macrumors 6502

emorydunn

I found this, which has a photo of some real telescope sensor (next to a quarter). http://www.ucolick.org/public/telescopes/index.html#cameras

4. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Interesting. Makes sense in a way if you think about it though- the size of the sensor will really be determined by the optics available for it. And the light gathering ability of an observatory-sized telescope/mirror is really what determines the sensitivity of the view, as the large mirror is what's gathering the light, and concentrating it down onto a small spot (the sensor).

Additionally they cool their CCDs to remove as much thermal noise as possible, which really makes a huge benefit.