20" ACD: to buy or not to buy ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sinser, Feb 5, 2009.

1. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Confused.
    I have an early 2008 MBP and want to get an external display for it. To be honest I don't like Apple's current 24" model since it's way too glossy for my tastes and needs, so I was looking at the old 20" model.
    I know it's a nice S-ISP panel and the design is still superb, but it hasn't been updated for way toooo much time and today it looks overpriced considering what's available on the market. So I just can't make my mind. Buy it or not ? Maybe should I wait until it gets updated ? But when ? Also, I'm really afraid of this all glossy trend (even if the recent matte option on the new 17" MBP MAYBE means something). If it gets discontinued without a matte option I'll be forced to look at some other manufacturer, which would suck a bit (stupid, but I'm one of those "all Apple" guys).
    Confused.

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I think Apple have realised that people don't want glossy on their pro stuff. When Apple do unveil the 20" and 30" counterparts to the 24" I'm quite sure they will offer a matte version on all three.

The Cinema Display is and isn't overpriced. The 24" is not, it uses a panel better even than the S-IPS panel called a H-IPS panel and is very well priced for such a display. The 20" and 30" are because they are in need of the same update provided to the 24".

Your best bet is to either wait it out until Apple release a new 20" Cinema Display with the better panel and almost certainly a matte option, or just pick up a Dell Ultrasharp or something.

3. sinser thread starter macrumors 6502a

sinser

No I don't think the 24" is overpriced, it has some nice features. It's just that I can't stand glossy and its best features (powering the laptop) are useless for my classic MBP. Don't know, I guess I'll stay on idle for a while, waiting for Apple to make some move. Then I could decide between:

1) pick up the new model
    2) get an old one somewhere, hopefully for a discounted price
    3) take the Dell, Nec, HP route

I'm willing to hope you're right about the matte option, there's no way pro people will ever adopt a glass covered display.

4. ray648 macrumors regular

Didn't apple state that they are switching everything to displayport? I'm sure I read that on here somewhere. If that is the case then there is no point waiting for new displays to be released as they will use the new mini displayport connector and will not be compatible with your macbook pro. If you think the 20" is overpriced you could try to pick up a refurb or second hand one possibly?

5. sinser thread starter macrumors 6502a

sinser

My spirit is too weak. I just surrendered to the 20" ACD. After all it's the perfect match for my MBP, which I plan to keep for at least 4 years. Of course could be much cheaper nowadays, but since I'm attending a post University course I took advantage from the educational discounts, not that much, but better than nothing.

6. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I have the 20" ACD and its not glossy from what I can tell, I want an S-IPS monitor period.

Check out eBay for prices on Dell or Apple, this site will give you all the information on just about any monitor made.

Also there is a guy in California, that is selling a Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP which according to the guy is S-IPS I believe and IMHO he's selling them at a decent price , there refurbish's but hey nothing the matter with that.