20" ACD w/Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bking1000, Sep 1, 2008.

1. bking1000 macrumors 6502a

Can the macbook drive a 20" ACD? Are there any reasons not to hook a 20" ACD onto a MB?

Also, are the ACDs really that much better than like a Samsung monitor. My work computer has a Samsung that seems to spec out better than the ACD (faster ms, better contrast ratio, etc.). Is there a reason the ACD is better?

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yes, it can drive up to a 23", The ACD has better color accuracy for professionals, and it sounds like you wouldn't notice the difference. So get a cheaper alternative, like Dell or HP even samsung.

3. bking1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback. A couple other points: the 20" is $499 refurbed, so not as a big a spread as if I bought new. The other questions I have are on a) extra ports the ACD gives you (I only have 2 USB on my MB) and also can you put a MB under the foot of an ACD (that is, below the monitor, but on top of the aluminum foot)? Desk space is at a premium for me.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I have an older Dell 20" IPS widescreen display which is identical to the 20" ACD and it worked fine with my MacBook.

5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yes You can use the USB ports on the Cinema Display giving you a total of 3. Yes you can put your MacBook on the Foot of the display.

However I would check out dell you can get a good display with USB ports for half the Price of Cinema Display.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Your Samsung at work probably uses a TN panel which gives you great contract and faster response, but the downside is color representation is subpar, view angles are probably abysmal. Even if the panel is PVA it's still not entirely good in the color representation area.

The Apple display is a H-IPS panel which is the best panel you can get.

Normally I would say get the Dell, but with Dell's it is literally a lottery between getting a S-IPS and a PVA.

Of course if you don't know the difference between the technologies, you can look it up; if you don't care, well then get whatever is cheapest.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Actually Apple uses S-IPS, Dell no longer uses S-PVA on there 20" Monitors. The last one they used S-IPS was on my Monitor the 2005FPW and Very early 2007WFP, Look up the Dell Lottery.

They Do however use S-IPS on there 3008WFP and I think on the 3007WFP. I imagine you don't need a High end display very few people do. If you don't understand the Technology Chances are you don't need to and it's not worth spending the extra money on a better panel.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I bought a late 2007 and it has S-IPS. If they don't use S-IPS on the Dell 20" anymore than get the ACD. And I know the 23" and 30" ACD is H-IPS.

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I don't think any of them do H-IPS is a fairly new standard and apple hasn't updated them in a while this Wikipedia article says for sure the 23" is a S-IPS and I'm pretty sure the 30" is too. Apple Cinema Display