20" acer or 22" samsung?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sr5878, Nov 20, 2007.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

2. VTeCMonKeY macrumors newbie

hi mate, i would say samsung any day of the week...

i have the 22" Samsung 226BW and i have it as it was voted by numerous magazines forums etc to be the best TFT at the time (6 months ago).

Samsung make excellent screens, period ;)

3. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

any other opinions?

i kinda need to make a decision by black friday ;)

i'd also like to point out that i think the acer has better specs. higher contrast ratio (1.5x more than samsung) and a higher pixel pitch. is the 'name' (and size... but again resolution > size for me) really worth it here? just playing devil's advocate for the samsung...

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I read that as well that the acer had some better specs. Better specs by way of contrast ratio and pixel pitch as you said. However, I'm learning in life of LCDs you get what you pay for. I bought a $1000 42" HD LCD TV and the only difference that was noted on paper between one and another was the viewing angle. I wish I had sprung for the extra $150 and got the other as the viewing angle was less on the one I bought and it's noticeable the second I step to the side.

However, it's hard to really turn your head at the difference in contrast ratios. Screen size isn't everything as you said and I tend to agree the screen with a better contrast ratio seems better. Acer and Samsung may be in the same retail store. You may want to see if you can't find a place that sells both and see for yourself. I want to say Samsung because of the name. I also found way more reviews on it than the Acer but that doesn't mean anything. The people reviewing may be casual e-mail and web users who ultimately do not care about contrast ratios and cannot tell the difference. Here's a small but nice little article about contrast ratios.

If I had to choose I would probably lean towards the Samsung but that is because I seem to find more information and I think the viewing angle may be important. Unfortunately the specs we get online aren't always all the specs you'd want to see...close but not entirely. If your use or your need is more segmented, if you're a graphic designer and name isn't the point it's the specs, then see if you can't find other graphic designers who are speaking about displays and what they've chosen.

I googled "lcd displays graphic designer" and came up with some interesting results. One in which is this forum where someone asks a similar question. If you can weed through the morons who reply with "apple" and nothing more then you may see something worth your while. Here is the link to the search results, I don't know if it'll work for you but try it.

Unfortunately for you your timeframe is limited. I spent months looking into which LCD TV to buy and ultimately still struggled. When my TV finally went out I was pushed into something that while I do not regret, I would not buy again. It could be me that struggles with specs and gets caught up in the text more than anything else, but still. :)

One final word in the wall of text. If you are a graphic designer and you are earning income from your work either by way of an employer or self-employed then I would attempt to go with a larger screen if you can. 20" - 22" may not seem like much but in theory it is not worth the jump to me. However, 20" to 24" is a nice little bump. I went from a 20" to a 30" but had my eyes set on a 23"-24". Once I got in front of the 30" it was clear to me. Many people will argue that it is better to do two 20"s than it is one 30". I agree completely, but for me, the need for the resolution/dual screens was going to be less frequent for me than the desire to have more screen real estate on one display. If that makes sense. Get the 20" if your budget allows and work your way up to a second 20" or even the jump from 20 to 24 or 30 but just keep in mind if you have another $100 and the better display turns out to be the acer, see if you can't find a deal for a slightly larger panel.

Good luck to you.

5. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

I've got a couple of Samsung displays, and they're fantastic. Never had a problem with them myself.

That said, I've never used an Acer, so I don't know what they're like quality-wise. But for the same price, I'd go with the one that'll get you an extra couple of inches viewing area.

6. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok sweet...

i still don't know. newegg has a no refund policy on lcd displays, yet bestbuy has a 14 day full refund policy. maybe i'll just pick that one up and grab the acer if i don't like it?

also, the samsung has this:
    1000:1 contrast ratio (3000:1 dynamic); 300cd/m²

what does that mean? the acer is 2500:1.

also i think if the $199 deal on the samsung display isnt available online then i'll just go for the acer. no way i'm getting in line at 5am for a computer screen.

7. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have a awsome 21 dell listed in the classifeds here for the same price.......great for gaming....

8. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

it looks nice but first off it's a gateway and i am sworn against that company ;) second of all i'd prefer a new one over used (no offense) and it needs to be mac compatible (says pc only in your listing)

:)

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

yes, its my sons LOL go with the samsung....but wait till black friday, if you goggle black friday ads. you cam see them early :)

10. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no i know... i know for sure the display i want will be available for $199 on black friday... just not sure if it'll be an online deal.

right now i'm leaning towards acer... denser pixels, higher contrast, and frankly, a much sleeker display.