20" Aluminum iMac Brightness Changes On Its Own

Discussion in 'iMac' started by shfawaz, Jun 13, 2008.

1. shfawaz macrumors newbie

shfawaz

I have a 20" iMac that when I start using it in the morning, I have to turn the brightness back to its highest level from the lowest level. It pretty much stays bright the whole day most of the time (sometimes if I leave the screen blanker function on and/or RSS screen saver it goes back down before the day is out and I have to turn it up again). But almost like clockwork, I have to readjust it again the next morning. Anyone know how I can set this to always stay at the highest or pre-set brightness without having to adjust it every day. This is very annoying. I've tried everything I know with no joy.

I do have the iMac automatically shutting down off every night around 2am and automatically restarting in the morning around 6am. I don't think this has anything to do with it, but I'm open to ideas or suggestions.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Stop shutting down. Put it to sleep. Other than that, I have no idea.

3. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

If I read your post correctly you are saying that the brightness level adjustment is moving on its own. If that is correct do the following:

- Select System Preferences from the Apple menu.
    - Select the Energy Saver Icon.
    - Make sure "Settings for:" says "Power Adapter".
    - Below that select the "Options" toggle button.
    - Uncheck "Automatically reduce the brightness of the display before display sleep"

4. maconhouse macrumors newbie

I am having the same exact problem on a 24" iMac, and changing the energy saver did not resolve the issue. I also have my Mac shut down each night (preference of my company). Any other thoughts to resolve this issue?

5. maconhouse macrumors newbie

Sleep fixes problem

I changed my settings so that my computer doesn't restart overnight, and it remedied the problem.

6. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Why would you set it to restart overnight? What do you do with it now? Put it to sleep?