20" Aluminum iMac Screen ...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sammy2066, Oct 9, 2007.

1. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Are the newer batches of the 20" Aluminum iMac shipping with 24bit screens? I ask because I was talking to Apple Support the other day, and the guy said I could return my 20" iMac and the new one which I would get would not have any issues with color banding.

Can someone confirm 24bit screens on 20" version?

Cheers,
    Sam
    :)

2. tegg macrumors newbie

My new 20" iMac arrived last Friday (shipped Sept 26th). I can't confirm if it has a 24bit panel in it, but running LCDTest doesn't show any of the lines/bands that my MacBook shows with the same gradient tests. Maybe they have just improved the dithering algorithm, but the gradients are nice and smooth.

It's definitely still a TN panel though (there is a big variation in brightness if you change the vertical viewing angle).

3. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

Hope this helps :).

4. DemNoir macrumors member

Does it still have the color shift from top to bottom? If you display a colored sticky and slide it form top to bottom does the color change?

5. sammy2066 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies guys! So that means it still ships with a TN panel. So there's no point in returning it. :(

6. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

All well except the 24" is an LG.Philips S-IPS not a PVA. Same difference though, both 8-bit