20" Apple Cinema Display --Dated?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JSpence, Jun 24, 2012.

1. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

Hi all,

just pulled the trigger and bought a used ACD from amazon for roughly $220. I'll hook it up for Desktop use with my 13"MBP 2.5Ghz/SSD/8GB RAM

1. I did some research, do you think this is an acceptable price? Would have loved a TBD but still a little pricey. Should I consider just waiting it out til I have the extra $$?

2. I've always wanted one. Browsing the "Post Your Setup" thread made me do it. I just think they're so beautiful. Is this going to be too dated though compared to what I could have gotten for the $$$?

3. If you have one, still use, please chime in. Want to hear of what you think of it.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Thats a really tough one. I got a 20" Cinema display ADC (the older acrylic ones) last year for $70, and a 22" acrylic one (the original model with DVI) for $105. The newer ones are obviously more modern looking, have a slightly higher contrast ratio and are a bit brighter, but the resolution is the same and thats really the most important thing to me. I think for over $200 I'd be shooting for a 23" display at a minimum.

3. JSpence thread starter macrumors regular

JSpence

Just to make sure we're talking about the same displays..

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Cinema-...40596296&sr=8-4&keywords=apple+cinema+display

I thought they were made out of aluminum? If not, then where'd you pick those up for so cheap?! Haha I've been searching Craigslist/eBay and this was the best price I found for "Very Good" condition.

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The 20" I got was the previous generation. ( I have 17" 20" 22" and 23" versions of this style) The 23" is my everyday monitor thats hooked up to my G5. The Cube is hooked up to the 20" version that is posted below.

http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display_20.html

Obviously its not going to be as plug and play with a new MacBook as a DVI aluminum model, but the specs are nearly identical. I suppose what I'm getting at is, I wouldn't pay that kind of cash for a 20" display even if it is Apple. Its really just too small and you can buy screens that size brand new with no hours on them for less.

5. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

My mom still used her late 2005 23" Aluminium Cinema Display (1920x1200). It works perfectly fine with her 2010 Mac Mini and it's wall mounted as well.

These screens are still a perfect and elegant solution. Although I'd opted for a 23" version (especially for around that price).