20" Cinema Display Screen cracked

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by onemacmini, Jan 17, 2010.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

My dad has given me a cinema display, 20 inch, about 2 years old. Looks good however, i'm only able to keep it if i can fix it. When someone packed it up into the box they have squashed the box pushing the plug into the screen causing it to pierce the screen slightly and cracking it.

What where and how can i get a replacement part? would be willing to replace it myself just need to get the parts or to know if its possible???

I am in the UK however if there are any American places i can get a screen i would be truly grateful, ideally in the uk though.

Many thanks in advance

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Hi,

Yes, hypothetically you should be able to fix this. You need a new LCD that is compatible with your display. If I were you I'd break out the jeweler's screwdrivers and take yours apart, removing the bad LCD. Once you have it removed use the manufacturer and model number to find a suitable replacement LCD.

3. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

excellent,

fortunately after replacing several items on my macbook pro i purchased a Jewelers style screw driving kit so i shall give it a go.

many thanks! will let you know how i get on.

regards,

4. Paul B macrumors 6502

Consider listing it on eBay. You'd be surprised how much broken items sell for.

5. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Glad to hear it, fellow tinkerer. Don't forget to update us with your progress.

6. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

Right,

Cinema Screen Dismantled and now have the Part No.

Its LM201W01 ST B2

LG Philips Screen.

Looks like all i need now is to find one!!!

possibly use a donor monitor that uses the same screen. will be hunting if anyone has any ideas?

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I found one of that part number listed on eBay as an iMac G5 20" replacement LCD. This seems to be the best bet to find a replacement for a decent price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LM201W01-ST-B2-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efbeb8884

After some further searching this seems to be the screen used in the iMac G5 2.1Ghz. The Apple part number is [FONT=arial, helvetica]661-3779.

The auction I found states the following
    [/FONT]Apple
    (LG Philips manufactured)
    LCD Panel20" iMac G5 iSight
    LG Philips part # LM201W01 (ST)(B2), Apple part # 661-3779

So this does seem to be the correct part number. There are likely a number of other panels that fit saving you more money like on Macbooks if all you care about is the housing and not the color accuracy.

I would search this part number on eBay for the best pricing (click the include item description checkbox). Other sites almost always far more expensive for replacement parts.

Though I could not say for certain that they use the same panels. It seems quite likely since they use the same LG part number.

Good Luck

8. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

velocityg4, many thanks for your reply. i have hunted high and low and it seems that a dell uses the same screen and some imac's. the problem being that some of them have different connections. the imac's screen have a multi pin brick that i quess pushes into a block style connector on the main board. however the cinema display has a female/male type connector. so i have found a company that repairs apple monitors near me and will see if they can locate a screen for me.

if not the quest is still on.

Suprisingly the screen was rather easy to take apart.

Apple, Simple but effective

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are you talking about the end of the cable which connects to the motherboard being different or on the LCD side. As those ribbon cable are usually detachable.

10. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

Theres a bulit in connector which a lead from the motherboard connects in to the fixed screen connector.

i have found a company which will repair it as they have a screen from a salvaged one however they want £50. which i thought was resonable. but...... i have to pay £125 fixed fee for repair, even if i want to do it myself they wont let me as it puts the out of pocket. so 175 + Vat..... £205

Not sure if its worth it?

11. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Wait a second... when you finally get to just the LCD, it should have only a small pink and white connector that goes into the inverter, and a slot on the back for providing the LCD with power. Do you still have parts to remove? The LCD should be quite generic and not ACD specific.

12. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

certainly, there is only one connector that connects the main board to the LCD Panel. i have now removed all components and am just left with the LCD panel.

Cheers

13. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

My iMac 20" just died...

My logic board just burnt out on my iMac, and (after dissection) that is the same screen that it used. I was just about to part it all out and list it on eBay. PM me if you're interested. :D

Attached Files: