20" Cinema Display - Works on my 2004 1.8Ghz G5, but not my Early 2009 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by m.chaloner, May 13, 2009.

1. m.chaloner macrumors newbie

This problem I'm experiencing is so strange!

I've just updated to 10.5.7 and I'm still having problems with my cinema display on my new mac pro.

I've got two screens (1 x 17" Viewsonic & 1 x 20" Cinema display) both connected via DVI.

Both displays show bootup screens (grey background & grey apple logo)
    As soon as I'm into the OS my cinema goes blank. no image. light on (no blinking) but the viewsonic is fine.

The cinema isn't detected in system prefs or anything.

so far i've

• swapped DVI > Mini-displayport
    • reset PRAM numerous times
    • tried swapping Connectors on after another
    • tried booting in safe mode

Weird thing is, if I boot as windows, montor is still blank, but display prefs actually detects the display and the right resolution!

is there anything else I can do?

like I said I know the monitor is fine. it works perfectly on my G5 - so it's nothing to do with backlight/power adapter/leads

does it just come down to a driver issue :confused:

damn you :apple:

any suggestions much appreciated!! :)

2. SimonPBarlow macrumors newbie

Same problem....

I am using a 20" Cinema screen and a HP1702 on a MacPro (2007). After the update, which went smoothly, the Cinema Screen and the HP1702 show the grey boot screen, but as soon as the boot process is finished the screens just cycle between blue and black every couple of seconds. Very occasionally I get a brief view of my desktop. If I unplug the Cinema display, the HP1702 works fine and I can see and use my desktop. I have tried downloading SwitchResX to change the settings for the Cinema screen as per some fixes on other forums, but it did not work in my case.:confused:

So far I have spent nearly 30 hours trying to sort this out.

Thanks :apple: you have produced an update that works with a cheap HP screen but not one of your own screens. Does anybody at :apple: care about their products anymore or are they descending into the Microsoft "take it or leave it" attitude.

3. -js- macrumors regular

-js-

Do you have the 20" ACD's USB cable connected to the computer? If not, try that. Also might as well connect the ACD's FW cable. I can tell you that my Mac Pro didn't know what the ACD was, nor could I control the brightness from the keyboard, until I attached the USB cable. I'm pretty sure that on my G4 that it didn't need the USB connected for that, but I could be wrong.

4. SimonPBarlow macrumors newbie

20 ADC Display not working..

Hi
    I have tried the USP and Firewire cables in and out. I did hear of a problem that the MacPro would not detect the ACD if these were not plugged directly into the back. I have used share screen to get back to my MacPro and while the screens on the actual unit flicker, the share screen is stable and I can see that the MacPro recognizes the ACD. It all down to the resolutions I guess. I have now tried all combinations of resolutions for the ACD by accessing the MacPro in this way to change settings. None work.

Seriously thinking of going buying two LCD screens from another manufacturer, just as I was about to order two of the new 24 inch LED Cinema Displays

5. m.chaloner thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope apple sorts this out soon!

this is really starting to bug the hell out of me, I rang apple and their "so called" geniuses didn't have an 'effing clue!

I want to talk to one of apple software guys, so they can actually troubleshoot this problem and provide a solution instead of some moron clicking links on google, telling me to reset my PRAM!

£700 worth of monitors just sitting there :(

6. m.chaloner thread starter macrumors newbie

still having this problem!!!

anyone else experiencing this as well?