20" Early 2009 iMac - HDD Swap - Price?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by doofoo, Nov 19, 2013.

1. doofoo macrumors member

Does anyone know what Apple would charge for a HDD swap in a 09 iMac? Rough estimates?

I asked someone at the store but they suggested I bring the machine in before they could give me a price. I'm looking this up for a friend, so I'd rather not lug the computer in if it's going to be crazy in price.

Their HDD is clicking, so it's time to be swapped out. Will Apple perform an upgrade with a SSD, or HDD that the customer brings in - or must you buy a drive from them?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Apple will not install a drive you bring in. Do note that unless you use the right model drive there will be fan issues.

To give you an estimate, last year in a late 2009 iMac, Apple was charging $265 (+tax) for a 1TB drive replacement. If you do bring it in to Apple, you could inquire about the prices of different size drives.

3. doofoo thread starter macrumors member

Great.. Thanks for the details. That's perfect.

4. snowmaan macrumors regular

If you find a SSD drive online that will work, post it here. I need to do the same, my iMac is soooo slow now and cleaning it up at the moment

What country are you in, im in Australia and looking locally or online but it's hard to find a HDD that will fit and suit

5. Rfisher7381 macrumors newbie

Also ask about the HDD recall that included some 09 iMacs. I have one and Apple replaced my drive under warranty a few years ago.