20' G5 iMac - Flashing Folder

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Benny08, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Benny08 macrumors member

Benny08

Hey Guys,
    im a little stumped....i work in IT so i can fix just about everything but this one has got me puzzled.

I found an old imac lying around our office and thought i might try and get it up and running and see what i could do with it. It had No RAM, No Hard Drive & No DVD Drive. i replaced the Hard Drive and RAM but couldn't do the DVD Drive.
    i had some issues with the ram but eventually got it to to boot but not very far, it got to the flashing folder screen, NOW its not like the new flashing folder its more like a tiger flashing folder screen but at this point am unsure of the Original OS. So straight away i thought it was the Hard Drive, i plugged it into my other mac, wiped it and fresh installed Snow Leopard Onto It, and back into the iMac it went BUT only to get the same problem when it booted. i then tried to Boot from an external Hard Drive with a bootable partition but this also failed.

Now this is why i am stumped, that hard drive is working fine and so is the RAM but it wont boot any further. The flashing folder looks like this: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AwDVtysRWto/TaB3IgGcr3I/AAAAAAAAAOM/Vy4AjKrIhe0/s1600/Unknown.jpeg

Is this because i have not installed snow leopard while its in the iMac or should i try and install Tiger or a previous version onto the hard drive and see if this works?

Any ideas would be great because i am stumped!! Thanks everyone :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member