20" iMac 2.0 GHz purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boston44, May 4, 2010.

1. boston44 macrumors 6502

So I've been wanting to buy the new iMac for near $1,100 after tax refurbished from apple, but I have a chance to buy the really old aluminum 2.0 GHz for $450. It's mint with the box and has all the accessories, as well as iWork 08 and Bose Speakers. 250 GB HD and 3 GB Ram, as well as a dual core processor. My question is, should I buy this knowing the value will only decrease for $450 or wait out for the new model? Also, I'm a noob so what's the difference between core 2 duo and dual core? I don't want a core duo desktop, but I'm not sure what "dual core" means or if it's different from core 2. Thanks guys.

2. drchiu macrumors newbie

All models will decrease in value over time. For $450, I would say that the price you are paying is over priced. Instead, there are a variety of refurbished Apple iMacs selling for about $900-1000 at Apple.com from time to time. Look out for those when they come out, as they are much better than this deal you're looking at.

3. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

what the poster above said

I can't answer the Intel processor question, but the Apple store gets refurbished 20" 2009 iMacs for $849.00 at least once a week. I just bought one and it was all but perfect, with Applecare and tax and freeshipping it came out to 1106.00. Just a fair warning that the Ram is usually 2GB.

All that said, if you want a newer model then wait. Despite my issues with glare and eye strain (I would definitely recommend buying refurb iMacs).

4. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I disagree totally - I think that $450 for a good condition aluminum 20" is a great price. I just recently sold my 2.0 17" white iMac for $475. A 2.0 C2D is still a quite viable machine - its not as fast or powerful as a new iMac, but its not half bad.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

thats not a bad price... it will last you 2 or 3 years still... if you are tight on cash but want an iMac id say go for it.

6. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

That is indeed my iMac's model, and it's run Leopard quite well for over two years without an OS reinstall. It'll Handbrake a feature-length movie straight from the DVD in less than 40 minutes and still let you surf the Web without a hiccup-- and mine only has the base 1Gb of RAM!

I agree somewhat with js81 that $450 is a good price for a "good condition" iMac of this vintage. If the screen's all scuffed up or there's some obvious flaw, then maybe not. The extra 2Gb of RAM is a nice plus in this particular case.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I would say go for the 2.0. The Core 2 duo is a dual core processor, as is the Core duo, but the Core 2 is quite a bit better, and all the aluminum ones have Core 2. Dual core is just a general term for any processor that has two processor chips. If you don't need the computer for anything sophisticated, I would definitely say go for that over something that costs twice as much or more. The 3GB of ram is also a very good extra, and I think 450 is a very good price for this computer. I saw one online with essentially the same specs for twice that, although that is a bit overpriced.

EDIT - Core and Core 2 are just processor brands from Intel, not specific types of processors