20" iMac - 2.0 or 2.4ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wagg34, Dec 6, 2007.

1. wagg34 macrumors newbie

(Thanks to the posters who replied to my last post :))

Apparently I'd be better off buying my new iMac here in Canada. *crosses fingers that either Apple or Best Buy tries to match the US prices soon*

Now that I have the settled, I have to choose between the 2.0ghz and the 2.4ghz. In a perfect world, I'd really like to get the 24 inch, but I don't think it's in my budget anytime soon. Even the 20" 2.4ghz is getting into the high end $-wise.

I plan on adding 4GB on my own (it seems to be a consensus here, and it seems very reasonably priced - even in Canada :D). I do use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom quite a lot for photography (I'm sort of at the serious hobbyist stage), and I have a habit of using a bunch of programs at once. I would really like my first Mac experience to be as good as possible, so I'd like to know if just the lowest-end 20" 2.0ghz would be enough for my needs.

Once again, any help, suggestions, or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just remember, you are not just buying a speed bump ... you are getting a bigger HD, and the upgraded GPU.

So for $100 more than the base model, you can get one of those refurb machines people sent back in quantity because they froze.

And the freezing was fixed by a firmware update, so the machines should be fine and plentiful.

---

So $100 isn't a bad deal for the bigger HD, uprated GPU, and speed bump.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

couldn't agree more. the upgrade in gpu is worth the upgrade in itself. the added cpu and bigger hd should just be a bonus. i would recommend dropping the extra dough, you won't regret it

4. wagg34 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've never considered buying refurbished, actually. Do refurbished products come in all the pretty Apple packaging? I know it seems like a stupid reason for a decision...but there's just something about the concept of "refurbishment" that sounds unappealing. When you spend a bunch of money on something, especially when it's something entirely new to you (as Macs definately are to me) one of the most exciting parts is taking home (or getting in the mail) the brand new package, and opening it, and seeing it all neat and complete in the box...and knowing that it's never been used...am I right?

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

New 20" iMac 2.4 bone stock 1499

or

Refurbish 20" iMac 2.4 + Apple Care + 1-2GB $30 3rd party memory upgrade for 1499

Both will cost the same.