20" iMac 2.4 vs 2.6

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shallow ships, Jul 2, 2008.

1. shallow ships macrumors newbie

So I'm going to order an iMac as soon as I get some advice. Easy really, I'm debating on the 2 20" models and I'm wondering if there's really that great of a performance difference. I'm not going to be doing anything extensive with it but if I'll notice the difference with even simple tasks like browsing and movies etc... I'd take the higher road. The price difference isn't really a concern but if it's worth saving a few hundred for some accessories or something, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. atthecross macrumors 6502

well for the base model of both the difference is $300, so if you get the 2.4 you can max the ram, get wireless keyboard and mouse set up and a large external hdd.

you will miss the $600 dollars more than you will the .2 speed difference.

I say $600 because of the $300 price diff and the cost of the above extras

3. The Hammer macrumors regular

There is a difference in the graphic cards and an extra gig of memory as well as a slight speed difference in the processor in favor of the 2.66mhz model.

4. shallow ships thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I know the differences, I'm just wondering if it's worth the cost for every day tasks.

5. 00Penguin macrumors member

I just got the 2.4 GHz version and added 4 GB of ram from crucial and I can't tell a difference between mine and my friend that has the 2.6 GHz version

6. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

i had a similar debate and went for the 2.66 version because i thought of this as an investment and in the long run the better graphics card will be a bonus and it saved me from installing my own ram (2gb is more than enough for me at the moment) and the extra hard drive space is a bonus too.
    i understand you would barely notice the difference in speed, but for personal preference and long run i went with the 2.66 (my brother convinced me :()

7. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

This article would probably be worth a look: iMac value equation ... towards the bottom of page, see the section marked: 20" iMacs

Personally, if you think you could use a little extra CPU power, now or in the future, then go for the faster system.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The 2.4 version will be fine for you. Just get another 1 GB stick of RAM from elsewhere. (2.4 comes with one 1 GB stick so another slot is open)