Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barstard

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Yep. This F4 F7 thing works beautifully for me. Windows is up and running. Just downloading the drivers now (on my other mac). Hope I can get either ethernet or Airport or Firewire working (for internet).

barstard.

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
Once you guys got your Macs running XP, I've posted a helpful hint regarding easily eject CDs in Windows (the eject CD doesn't work).
From my OnMac forums post:
Hey, I thought I'd share this software that I found with everyone so they could utilize it. It is shareware, $15 to buy with 30 day trial--though it is pretty useful. You can set it so that if you press a certain key (eject key does not work here, the program doesn't see it), it will eject your CD. For example, I am using the Help key as my eject shortcut. Works great so far!

Get it here:
http://www.cd-eject-tool.com/
http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=212

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
Hello, so if you do not have a PC or access to one, then you cannot install XP, right? Because of the need to slipstream the disc...

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
nospleen said:
Hello, so if you do not have a PC or access to one, then you cannot install XP, right? Because of the need to slipstream the disc...

Currently, yes.

barstard

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
joelypolly said:

Yeah. That solution sucks unless you love the terminal. I couldn't even get mkisofs to install! Luckily I had a friend with a PC come over and burn a disk according to the main XPonmac instructions. Works fine on my 20" with the xom.efi for 20" . Now have drivers for ethernet, bluetooth, chipset, sound (not internal speakers) and Airport. All working.:D Now only need damn video drivers, iSight and IR and we'll have a beast.

I tell you what though, this experiment has made me realise that Windows IS bad, so much stuffing around to get drivers to install. What a pain.

barstard.

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
UPDATE...

Confirmed, after doing the f4 f7 and changing resolution to 640x480 I was able to install all the way.

I installed the Sigma drivers and get great sound (only headphones) and installed the Ethernet and Wireless and Intel software (am typing this from IE over wireless as we speak) and downloaded and installed the anycom Bluetooth software...there is one note from the wiki...

When modifying the btusb.inf file make sure you use the following

USB\Vid_05ac&Pid_8206 <---note the 8206 NOT 8205 as noted in instructions

Now everything is working but the following

Sound via the internal speakers
Fan/temp control (I know fans will come on with the chipset triggers it)
Graphics Hardware exceleration....
Freezes on restart/shutdown

However a great accomplishment.

Congrats to Steve and Narf and Blanka for getting us this far. I can wait to see what the future holds.

Very exciting for this uber Geek :cool:

If My MacBook Pro had a bigger HD, I might try it on there.....right now I only have a gig free.....so ......I also dont want to do it until the fan control stuff gets sorted out.

-Compufix

barstard

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Digital audio out is working fine! Some people are saying their install crashes on Shutdown/restart. Mine only on restart, if you shutdown it works fine.

For the person who lost their boot selection screen, re-install xom.efi on your mac partition and bless it again, should work fine.

WMP DRM works fine, so there isn't much more I need, although graphics drivers would make the whole OS GUI not so choppy.

To Steve1496, great work, we all owe a debt of gratitude to you for so much work on the 20" and for keeping us well informed as to the progress. Cheers.

barstard.

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
I am also working on an Applescript (with some shell scripting) installer that will install the correct xom.efi (original, mini or imac version), bless it and also make the iso slipstream XP cd. I am just working out a few things and I will post it here and at onmac.net

It is just easier for me to ask a few questions and set up the shell scripts using applescript. Until I learn automator :cool:....I may not help anyone, but atleast will make it easier a few steps. Because of possible legalities, I will not include drivers from third parties other than what is included with the xom.zip file originally. However with the wiki, it is wasy to get the drivers needed.

-Compufix

[EDIT] BTW...my Applescript helper app is finished. I posted a seperate thread here, but the URL is

http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=362

Good luck :cool:

derekboyer

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
On my system, all the files get copied. After it restarts the rest of the setup does not get to finish. I take the cd out and it still doesn't do anything. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
barstard said:
Yeah. That solution sucks unless you love the terminal. I couldn't even get mkisofs to install.

Not that it helps you now, but my xomhelper app has the mkisofs included in the app to make the ISO then burns the CD for you...works on PPC and Intel tested on MBP, 20" Intel iMac and Dual G5..

Does other stuff as well, a link is a few posts back in this topic.

-Compufix

glorfindeal

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2006
derekboyer said:
On my system, all the files get copied. After it restarts the rest of the setup does not get to finish. I take the cd out and it still doesn't do anything. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Did you by chance modify the partitions on the hard drive? If so, use disk utilities to erase the hard drive then repartition. This was a problem I ran into. It somehow lost the efi 200MB partition. Once I erased the disk and repartitioned. It worked perfectly.

Glor

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
hey folks. i should be buying my 20" this weekend. Is it possible to partition some fat 32 space on the drive so that both OS's can see and write to it and use it as a drive to swap files between the two? i'm a newb at all this and can't program so is this out of my league (if it's doable) or should it be rather trivial to do?

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
justflie said:
hey folks. i should be buying my 20" this weekend. Is it possible to partition some fat 32 space on the drive so that both OS's can see and write to it and use it as a drive to swap files between the two? i'm a newb at all this and can't program so is this out of my league (if it's doable) or should it be rather trivial to do?

Yes they can both write/read to FAT32.

Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.