Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I live in US and I will buy an 20" iMac for my parents who live in Turkey. I went to Apple store today to closely inspect the 20" iMac. The screen has narrow viewing angle and color changes from bottom of the screen to top of the screen is quite noticeable. My parents are not pro computer users but they would like to do basic home computer entertainment like surfing, printing, photo sharing etc but it's still a big concern for me to buy them the 20" iMac what has an inferior screen.

I remember the class action lawsuit that was on the news around 1.5 month ago, 6bit TN panels being inferior compared to white iMacs. Anyone has info on this?

I'm going to visit my family in Late July. Should I wait until WWDC is finished to buy the iMac, hoping maybe they will update the screen ( very unlikely since iMac is selling well, isn't it? )

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
My parents are not pro computer users but they would like to do basic home computer entertainment like surfing, printing, photo sharing etc but it's still a big concern for me to buy them the 20" iMac what has an inferior screen.

Better buy them a Mac Pro with a 30" ACD. Anything less just wont work for those basic needs.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
isn't that the sad truth... :(

No, plenty of us have 24" with perfectly good screens and you simply have a defective unit. Those who dislike the TN film panel used in 20" and laptops (I am one of them) can just spring for the 24". It has exactly the same footprint as the 20" and is only 3.3" wider and 2" taller.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Not to be rude but TBH mate I don't think your parents will give a toss ;)

It's a consumer computer, it still has a great screen, of course its inferior to a $1800 30" Cinema Display, this doesn't make it a bad screen.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Honestly, if that's the nature of a TN panel, I don't think the iMac owner should whine about it. They made the decision to purchase that model of iMac, right?

Mac mini + ACD should be fine.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I remember the class action lawsuit that was on the news around 1.5 month ago, 6bit TN panels being inferior compared to white iMacs. Anyone has info on this?

Not sure, but you can go to IdioticLawsuit.com, where there's also a report on the guy who sued because he bought a Toyota Corolla and it wasn't as good as a Lexus.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
I live in US and I will buy an 20" iMac for my parents who live in Turkey. I went to Apple store today to closely inspect the 20" iMac. The screen has narrow viewing angle and color changes from bottom of the screen to top of the screen is quite noticeable. My parents are not pro computer users but they would like to do basic home computer entertainment like surfing, printing, photo sharing etc but it's still a big concern for me to buy them the 20" iMac what has an inferior screen.

I'm going to visit my family in Late July. Should I wait until WWDC is finished to buy the iMac, hoping maybe they will update the screen ( very unlikely since iMac is selling well, isn't it? )

1. The 20" iMac screen should be fine for your parents.
2. I have not read anything about a class action lawsuit....there might be one but I am not aware of it.
3. The 20" and the 24" iMacs have been selling well, (both the last model and the new one.)

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Not sure, but you can go to IdioticLawsuit.com, where there's also a report on the guy who sued because he bought a Toyota Corolla and it wasn't as good as a Lexus.

Haha, that's one of the funniest things I've heard all day. IIRC, toyotas are built off the same platforms as Lexus', but that is ridiculous. You get what you pay for, same with the 20". If you can't afford a 24", get a mini with another monitor. You know what you're buying (unlike me, when I got my 20" in August), but if you think you'll get somehow reimbursed for it, don't hold your breath. Peace.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I live in US and I will buy an 20" iMac for my parents who live in Turkey.
How are you gonna carry that computer? It is wider than airline limitations for overhead bins and if you place it in checked luggage, there is a good chance the screen will not arrive at your destination in one piece.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
How are you gonna carry that computer? It is wider than airline limitations for overhead bins and if you place it in checked luggage, there is a good chance the screen will not arrive at your destination in one piece.

To be honest I feel brave enough to do it after seeing my friend put his Mac Pro and 2 23" ACDs in his luggage and brought them back to Istanbul :)

I'm thinking to put the iMac in it's box and put the whole thing in a large suitcase.

Are you sure that it's box is larger than allowable hand carry bags?

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
you will probably get anally searched by security if you bring an imac on the plane

Apple isnt going to update the TN panel, the lawsuit is only about false advertising so the most apple would do if they lose is change the wording on their site.

The 20" screen may be pure garbage but it gets the job done. For most users its perfectly fine, hell they might think it actually looks better on TN because the gradient it creates adds "flavor" to boring flat colors and it makes the tops of photo's extra contrasty (tests have shown that most people prefer photos with more contrast and saturation in sidebyside comparisons). It is only unacceptable for graphic designers or people who edit photos because of the terrible viewing angle that will change the way you see things (and thus change the way you edit things). Ive used the 20" for graphic design stuff and the viewing angle gradient gets me every freakin time when I bring it home to an S-IPS monitor and see how uneven I made the values to compensate for the vertical gradient.

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
you will probably get anally searched by security if you bring an imac on the plane

Apple isnt going to update the TN panel, the lawsuit is only about false advertising so the most apple would do if they lose is change the wording on their site.

The 20" screen may be pure garbage but it gets the job done. For most users its perfectly fine. It is only unacceptable for graphic designers or people who edit photos because of the terrible viewing angle that will change the way you see things (and thus change the way you edit things). Ive used the 20" for Photoshop stuff and the viewing angle gradient gets me every freakin time when I bring it home to an S-IPS monitor and see how uneven I made the values to compensate for the vertical gradient.

Thanks for the info.

Taking on board is my last choice if I can't fit it in my suitcase. If it fits the suitcase, I believe it'll be smooth as my friend took his gigantic Mac Pro with no problems.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Are you sure that it's box is larger than allowable hand carry bags?
The iMac itself is larger than the published limits, but if you take out the stand it may be close. The box would make it way above the mark.

The new screen is much worse than the old ones, but it is the same as or better than the LCD screens that cost less than $400 I believe.

nickf

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007

TN (twist nematic) panels? Surely it's a TFT display?

TN screens were common on laptops 15 years ago. I'd be astounded if the current iMacs use them.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
I have a 20" iMac Alu/2.0. It's fine...How many people sit at angles to look at the screen? I usually sit in front of my desk to work, not at 30 degree angles. Nor do I hang from the ceiling to do work...

For the $$$ it's a great screen, and a great system. I don't think Grandma/Grandma need a $3000 video editing system to send emails, surf the web, and exchange pictures...

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
This is the internets. People like to put things in two categories. Crap or Awesome.

On a 10 scale: The Crap category covers everything in the 0 to 9.9 range. The Awesome category covers everything in the 10 range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.