20" Imac core 2 duo can't install snow leopard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Gunner86, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Gunner86, Jun 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

Gunner86 macrumors member

Hello, i'm new here and new to macs all together , i bought a used 20" imac a few days ago that is running leopard and has the following specs:

2Ghz core 2 duo
    3gb of ram
    500gb hard drive

Ever since i got it ive been trying to install snow leopard on it but have been unsuccessful, thing is the dvd drive is toast so i followed guides on how to install from a usb and i can't seem to get it to work. i made my usb a guid partition and everything. If i launch the installer from leopard it starts the installation but then tells me it needs to reboot but then it just doesn't do anything and just boots back into leopard without resuming the installation. If i try to hold the alt key when rebooting it only recognizes my main hard drive and not the usb drive (tried both usb thumb drive and usb hard drive) . If anyone could help me that would be great as i don't want to have to spend 70$ on an external dvd drive. Is this machine bootable from an external drive?

Thanks

Gunner

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I take it that you imaged the USB drive with the Snow Leopard install using another computer? Which guide did you use? It should be able to boot from the USB drive with no problems.

3. Gunner86 thread starter macrumors member