Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I am currently in the market for a 20" iMac, I dont know when I will buy, but I will eventually buy this year. I want to buy an extra display to go with it so that I can have dual display. I want to 20" Apple display, but I dont feel it is worth the money, even with my student discount. I am wanting advice on which display to get and what to look for in the display so that it matches the color of the iMac. I do graphic work and I dont want two differnet colors on the monitors. So any recomendations on display and how to get them to show the same colors will be very appreciated. Thanks

kyleaa

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2006
jdl8422 said:
I am currently in the market for a 20" iMac, I dont know when I will buy, but I will eventually buy this year. I want to buy an extra display to go with it so that I can have dual display. I want to 20" Apple display, but I dont feel it is worth the money, even with my student discount. I am wanting advice on which display to get and what to look for in the display so that it matches the color of the iMac. I do graphic work and I dont want two differnet colors on the monitors. So any recomendations on display and how to get them to show the same colors will be very appreciated. Thanks

I have a 17" intel iMac with the second display a 20" Dell 2005FPW. The Dell screen appears slightly bluer to me, but I have had people tell me the two panels are identical. I haven't played around with the color settings, but I presume they could be matched. I enjoy the display, its got amazing features and was a great deal, I got it used for $300 with 2.5 years of the warranty still left.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
get the apple

I would get the apple,

issue is, if you are going to do dual monitors, your REALLY want them to be calibrated the same, and this is hard to do monitors from differant manufacturers and OEMS.

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
I would get the apple,

issue is, if you are going to do dual monitors, your REALLY want them to be calibrated the same, and this is hard to do monitors from differant manufacturers and OEMS.

That was my first idea, but I thought maybe I could get a better and bigger monitor for cheaper. Also if I was to get the 17" would it look weird or be awkward to use if I had a 20" or bigger second display?

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
tivoboy said:
I would get the apple,

I thought I read somewhere that the LCDs in the iMac and the ACD are vastly different - though I must admit I haven't closely compared them myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.