20" Imac G5 For $250. Good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CRAZYBUBBA, May 23, 2011.

1. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I'm getting This model of imac. I plan on finally buying a vesa mount and creating an awesome setup in my room.

I plan on using just regular web stuff, leopard and iweb. What do you think? Awesome?

Also, any advice on using cheap vesa arms would be appreciated. I think that I'm going to get a bargain basement one.

2. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

Yeah, good deal, make sure you max out the RAM.

3. CRAZYBUBBA thread starter macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

It actually comes with 2 GB! Thanks for the feedback.

4. jroller macrumors regular

$250 is certainly fair...

I have several of these in my lab and we use them daily for Photoshop and InDesign. Work well...

Enjoy.

5. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Great deal, also don't let comments about the G5 being obsolete bother you. Sure the G5 and all PowerPC is going the way of the Dodo but I would hardly call your imac G5 obsolete. You can get another 2 years or so of usage out of the above mentioned imac and for $250 it's a steal.

I have a Quad Core 2.5GHz G5 Power Mac and I would hardly call it obsolete. In fact it has only been within the past 2-3 years that Apple has managed to make Intel portables and AIO like the imac that can out power my 6 year old desktop.

6. ajsimeon macrumors regular

I think you could do better but I think I got lucky with mine. I got a 20" early 2008 aluminum for $350 off craigslist yesterday. Pristine condition and I love it. I know about the screen issues but for $350 I thought it was a steal. I hadn't seen an aluminum for this price anywhere.

7. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

I'd get it. For the basics, it should be a serviceable machine.